Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gruen Watch-Man Or Women Watch??? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Attaching a picture of a Gruen watch. It measures 28mmx33mm. Looks small compared to other mens gruen watches that are round that I have. It was advertised as a Mens watch, but looks more like a womens watch to me. Anyone know for sure? Expertice appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
posted
Mark,

Your new watch is the Gruen "Autowind Leader" from 1952. It was available in gold-filled or stainless, and should have the nice 480SS sweep seconds, full rotor autowinding movement. Your dial has been refinished, and the hands have lost much of their original luminous filling.

While it may seem undersized to you, and in current terminology is probably more properly termed a 3/4 or boy's size watch, this watch was originally marketed as a man's watch. Styles have changed in the last fifty years, but back then, when your grandfather was still carrying a 16 size pocketwatch, a 45 or 50mm wristwatch (like so many of the current luxury models seem to be) would have seemed out of place and old fashioned. These smaller wristwatches were quite popular, especially among younger consumers. Just enjoy it for what it is, or find a lady who would like to wear a vintage watch.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Thanks for the info. I do like the watch and style. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a womens watch. Appreciated.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Womens' watches were really TINY when your watch was made - something like one half to one third your size.

dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005