Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Howard wristwatch by Hamilton "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
There have been previous posts about these interesting watches in the past, but this one has a particularly unique twist -- the original inner and outer boxes:

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
The watch itself:

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
Movement and signed case:

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Beautiful! - Are you going to keep us guessing about the original owner?

ooops - I thought that said "original owner" rather than "original inner ..." I guess I need new glasses. nevermind

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
René, what is the story (I missed it) with Hamilton's Howard line? Were they intended to be marketed at a certain retailer? How long were they in production?

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
posted
Here's a link to Will Roseman's website with the particulars:

Hamilton Howard wristwatch

Posts: 113 | Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Another Howard movement -----

Howard movement

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Rene great looking watch frist one i have seen thanks for showing it.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
stunning

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
posted
Hamilton refered to this as simply the "Howard" case. It was offered with two dials that I have blueprints for.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
posted
Don,

My records are not nearly as complete as yours Wink
as I do not have the entire museum to look through. (I envy you)

but my records indicate that there were only 637 of these H980's produced between 1939 and 1954.

If this is so, can we assume (or has anyone seen serial numbers that would corraborate) that they started from 001 to 637?

And during this same time they produced 1081 w980's referred to as Ill. watches.

Any info on them?
Jeff Hess

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
posted
oops. ust found on on ebay... Wish I had seen it earlier.. went for a song...

Note that the damaskeeing looks much tighter than its counterpart here. Makes me think that even the Hamilton boys thought more of the Howard name.

IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
I have the same 1957 report showing 637 Howards produced, but Will Roseman has uncovered an internal Hamilton document that claims 1,021 were actually made. He told me recently that he has seen one serial number higher than 637. All those I've seen have been lower. This is obviously a wonderful topic for additional research.

Speaking of damaskeening, here's an interesting set of 980 prototypes. Note that none have serial numbers. Apparently Hamilton was trying to decide just how to decorate the new 980. It's curious that in the end, most commercially sold 980s have no damaskeening at all.

posted
Jeff,

The Museum and Library belong to you and the other members. Since it is difficult for you to come to the Museum, my job is to try to bring it to you. This in thanks for building it 35 minutes from my house. Smile

I cannot comment on the number of these watches. Will has done the best job on searching the Hamilton wristwatch information.

I have a found a few things that he has not. Here is one of the Howard dials.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
posted
Here is the other Howard dial.