Internet Horology Club 185
Opinion on Zenith's current philosophy

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/6496053303

April 26, 2003, 13:42
Dan Ravenna
Opinion on Zenith's current philosophy
Hi All,

As a collector of Zenith (2 modern WW, one vintage, and one PW), I was wondering what your opinion was of Zenith's current marketing ploy. They have raised their prices and moved closer to a fashion statement rather than a watch for everyday wear.

With that, they dropped their pilot's fly-back and a few other IMO great every-day watches and replaced them with diamond studded or platinum-cased watches.

For a while, I thought their pricing ploy was to simply make their watches more appealing to those thinking that higher price = better watches, but then I saw their new line-up.

Any opinions?

Dan Ravenna
April 27, 2003, 08:13
Dr. Debbie Irvine
Welcome to Chapter 185 Dan!

I collect wristwatches but you're in the major leagues, and I'm playing slow pitch softball by comparison.

Maybe you could provide some pictures or links. I would like to know more about high-end wristwatches and I can see I have a lot to learn.

(What else is new?) Please do show us Dan!

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine

Chapter 185 Administrative Secretary
Chapter 185 Membership Coordinator
NAWCC Member 157487
IHC Member 164
IHC Life Member (L4)

Cool
April 27, 2003, 20:39
Dan Ravenna
I own two of the models now discontinued. This first one is the El Primero Fly-Back, a very straight-forward looking chronograph.

Fly-Back

This next one is their dressier, but still very nice El Primero handwind.

Hand Wind

Now here are a couple of the newer models from their catalogue.

Page 1

Page 2

Those are the kind of changes I am talking about.

What are your thoughts?

Smile

Dan
April 28, 2003, 08:45
Aaron Bereiter
First of all, are those prices in USD or pesos? Big Grin
Wowee! The two you showes fotos of fitst are a much better looking watch to me than the watches in the catalog. But the pries, those better be pretty nice watches.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God bless America

April 28, 2003, 22:12
Dan Ravenna
MSRP if I remember correctly!

Dan
April 29, 2003, 01:32
Lindell V. Riddle
Dan,

The two you have are really beautiful. Understated elegance! I agree they're hurting their class image with those monsrosities.

Do either of yours have exibition backs? I'd sure love to see that movement!

Please explain something for me. Do I understand that when they use the El Premiero movement in the Rolex they actually "detune" it somewhat?

What's the deal there?

Lindell

Smile
April 29, 2003, 23:09
Dan Ravenna
Since I am not affiliated to Rolex, nor do I wish to flame the brand....

What are two things you here about from Rolex users? I typically hear accuracy and reliability.

Now a Zenith operating a 36,600 bph is no less accurate than one running at 28,800 bph (and maybe is more accurate?).

The same goes for reliability. But wait, reliability can consist of shock-taking ability as well as running for long periods of time without maintenance. I also hear from Rolex owners "it hasn't missed a tick in 15 years and it never has been in for cleaning!

I think here is Zenith's achilles heel. The movement is a fabulous one, but I have heard that they had to use special lubricants to make sure it operates for extended periods of time without maintenance. Zenith, at one point, even went as far as offering a 5 year warranty!

I think we can all agree that a balance moving at this speed will wear faster than one moving at a slower rate, and I think that is why Rolex de-tuned them. To keep their customers happy and ignorant in the maintenance of their watches!

FWIW, it couldn't have been too hard. A new hairspring timed for the lower bph and perhaps a tweak on the mainspring.

Rolex now uses their own chronograph movement (I think about two years ago when the change occurred). It operates, of course, at 28,800 Smile

Dan