• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

218 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a 218 with no date. It ran fine untill the battery went dead. I replaced it and it ran ok for a day or two, now it stops and its hum doesnt sound right, sounds intermittent. what could be wrong ? I put in a Renatta 244 battery.

John

Posts: 16 | Location: Minerva, Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
The first thing I would check is that both of the screws are complete tight if one is loose they sometimes don't get the proper voltage. The next thing to check is if the hands are not touching and binding gear train. Because the humming does not sound correct then there could be a screw that has come loose and fell in to the tuning fork. After you check the screws. Can you post a photo of both the dial side, and one of the movement side with the back removed.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
John, if you find that the battery clamp is tight, it might be that the indexing mechanism needs ot be cleaned, or adjusted. The slightest bit of dust, lint or whatever gets on that index wheel, you can have this problem.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Did you get your 218 running correctly.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010