Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bulova Sky King "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
does anyone know what this watch looks like? I have the box but don't know what watch should fill it.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
pic. 2

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom,

The "Sky King" is one of the late '20s Bulova's, and was often marketed alongside the Lone Eagle watches.

While I don't currently have an example, I do have an ad...somewhere. The Sky King is a white gold filled, hexagonal cased gents watch, with distinctive engraved yellow gold panels on the bezel. Both luminous figures and applied gold numerals were used on the dials. Hope this helps, and I'll post the image as soon as I find it.

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
Tom,

This image is borrowed from one of Gena Lubensky's eBay listings...out of fairness to him, I'm including a link... Bulova Sky-King eBay listing

This variation has the two stripes at 12 and 6, while mine had a continuous engraved band all around the bezel.

I'm still looking for the ad.

Hope this helps,

Cary

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Cary,
thank you very much. I have been trying to track this one down for some time now. Thanks for your time and effort. I look forward to the picture of yours when you get a chance to post it.

Tom

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Below is an ad from October 1930.

The same ad has a smaller photo of a "Long Eagle" for 37.50. The Long Eagle looks just like the Lone Eagle shown in a June 1930 Ad. The one exception is the hands. The hands in the June ad look more like those on the ebay watch above while the Long Eagle hands look like the hands in this Sky King ad.

As a novice when it comes to wrist watches, this ad raises a couple of questions about the ebay watch. Is this watch a Sky King or could it be a two tone Lone Eagle? Are the difference in hands significant?

Finally OT, Was there a "Long Eagle" or is this a misprint in the October ad?

Ron

Bulova Ad

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ron,
thank you so much for posting that. I missed out on the ebay watch. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for this watch. (Much easier to do when you know what it looks like.) Thanks you very much.

Tom

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Tom

I won that ebay auction but I question whether that watch is a Sky King or a Lone Eagle (or something else). Notice that in the ad, the yellow gold band on the Sky King case surrounds the bezel. Cary noted this as well but still thought the ebay watch is a Sky King. I don't know enough about wristwatches but to me, given the difference from the ad, the ebay watch is still unidentified.

Ron

posted
Ron,

Thanks for posting the ad. I've not been able to locate mine. You are probably right. Bulova was notorious for using names in series rather than for individual models. I have had the model pictured in the ad, and Richard Gilbert recently had one listed on eBay as well. It may still be there, since he usually does the "store" listings instead of the traditional auction.

I have also seen a version with the gold banding only on the sides of the bezel.

Regards,

Cary

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Here's an inflation calculator. That watch was kind of expensive!

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
John, that watch on ebay was a bargain according to the inflation calculator. I didn't realize I was so cheap! (Well, maybe I did. Roll Eyes )

Ron, I put in a moderate bid on that one. I am glad you got it. I will keep my eye out for more of them, and have some idea of the going rate.

Cary, If you find yours, dig up this thread and post the picture, please.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Tom

posted
Tom,

Here is the link to Richard Gilbert's Sky King.
Bulova Sky-King

This is essentially the same as the one I had. Note that it has the AGN dial. The hands are incorrect, but that's not a big deal. I think I have appropriate Bulova factory hands for this one. It's hard to judge the case condition from the photo.

Ron, I believe that it must be a misprint. I've never heard of a "Long Eagle", and in the context of their attaching these watches to Charles Lindbergh, it doesn't make much sense. I believe there were three different watches marketed under the "Lone Eagle" name, but Bulova is not my specialty. I'll keep checking. I do think the price difference you noted is related to the different dial designs. I know that Gruen, Hamilton and Elgin charged more for an AGN dial than for an enamel or luminous one. The hands would be changed to match the dial, ie, luminous hands with a luminous figure dial, blued or gilded ones with an applied gold numeral dial.

Regards,

Cary

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Tom,

I was referring to the $42.50 ad price that Ron posted.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
John, Iwas referring to that price also. If I did it correctly the $42.50 price in 1930 is the equivalent of something over $500 today. The ebay price was "less than retail". Roll Eyes

Cary, Thanks for the link and additional information.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
WOOOOAHHHH!!!! Hold on here!! I think I already have that watch and did not know what it was! Eek

HERE is a watch I purchased awhile back. As close to mint as it gets with original bracelet. Is that not the "Sky King"?? Big Grin

Tom

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Sure looks like a match to me, Tom! Smile

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
That is beautiful Tom!

Congratulations on your box match.

Ron

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
An update. I discovered some interesting things about this box. It was sort of falling apart when I got it. But that was a good thing. It revealed a mechinsm for raising the watch when the lids were opened, and allowing it to lower again as the lids were closed.

The mechanism was not working and was ripped and broken in a few places. With some careful glueing it is now in good working order.

The following pictures should explain what I mean.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
picture 2

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
picture 3

Tom

posted
Tom,
It is great to see this all together! I've got a Sky King in excellent condition and a pal
has a complete box in "dismantling " condition.
From this available evidense I conclude that the original band is the rarest portion of a complete Sky King. I've been hoarding these old 30's link bands for years but don't have this one. With all the documentation available, putting on a "not-quite" band would be like putting a Seiko band on a Rolex. It just won't cut it. Thank you for all the pics.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004