Internet Horology Club 185
Accutron question(s)

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/605109091

November 05, 2009, 09:14
Dana Fuller
Accutron question(s)
How much would a 214 RR Approved Accutron (N1) have sold for when new and should one be serviced regardless of how well it is running?

Thanks'
Dana
November 06, 2009, 11:04
Scott Cerullo
Hello Dana,
I am not sure what the watch sold for new, but they were expensive for the time.
As far as service, Accutrons don't experience friction like a watch with a regular escapement. Cleaning and oiling is not as much of an issue. However, I have serviced these watches where under the microscope the index wheel is filthy and causing stoppages. Also, there are a jewels that can get dirty and dry. One must also keep the contacts clean and make sure a battery has not leaked.
Main problems with Accutrons are: dirty or damaged index wheel, damaged index or pawl springs, bad coil or electronics, bent tuning fork, and in 218s center wheel assembly.

www.pawatchmaker.com
November 06, 2009, 11:53
Bill Carlson
Hi Dana,
I believe it was 1963/4 when I purchased my first RR approved SS Accutron. I couldn't afford the gold one and I think my Stainless Steel was something like $130.00.

Bill

Bill Carlson
November 06, 2009, 15:25
Dana Fuller
$130 was a good chunk of change back then and probably more than a week's pay for most people. It's still fun to show the Rolex crowd what a sweeping seconds hand should really kook like.
November 07, 2009, 16:50
Bill Carlson
Dana,
I also think that most Accutrons are nicer looking watches too.

Bill Carlson