Internet Horology Club 185
What is this thing ?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/59710962

February 20, 2009, 13:22
Mario Pagani
What is this thing ?
I have found a picture of a watch that looks interesting, but wristwatches are not my cup of tea, and so I don't know anything about: could you kindly give me some hints ?

February 20, 2009, 17:49
Mary Ann Scott
Mario - it resembles a Hebdomas style watch with the exposed balance. I can't make out the name on the dial but it looks to be in very nice condition with the raised markers. Those loose "rings" appear to be a border for the balance opening and the calendar. If you turn the large one on its side, it looks like it would fit over the balance.
February 20, 2009, 18:02
Mario Pagani
Sure, Mary Ann, after you said it I have seen it clearly, I wasn't able to imagine what those two "springs" could be. Should be an interesting watch, isn't it ? thanks a lot for your help
February 20, 2009, 18:33
Mary Ann Scott
Mario - can you tell what the name is on the dial? I hope you get it. It looks to be a very nice wristwatch.
February 21, 2009, 01:59
Mario Pagani
should be Glashutte, but I have found no evidence of such a Glashutte
February 21, 2009, 03:06
Mary Ann Scott
Mario - I have very little knowledge of Glashutte watches. In my watch guide there are 3 examples shown but they don't resemble this one. As I said, it does look like a nice one. If it runs and has a reasonable price, I say go for it. If you need more info, I will have to defer to the experts. Whatever you do, good luck!
February 21, 2009, 03:15
Mario Pagani
Mary Ann, that's the question : I like it, but I'm afraid it could be a fake, I have found out that Glashutte has an enormous quantity of "replicas" so I actually do not know what to do. I have 5 more hours to consider the situation ...
February 21, 2009, 12:51
Clive Driscoll
Mario
My advice.

If there are fakes about and you are not acquaited with these watches you are taking a risk with your money now matter how small the cash sum.

If it appears to good to be true it probably is.

To many people a fake is an utter waste of money especially if you have bought it on the understanding its authentic.

Save your money unless you are sure.
February 21, 2009, 14:41
Mario Pagani
Clive, as far as I have found, there are about 10.000 fakes for a true Glashutte ... I keep on with my PWs where I ... have already bought all the fakes an average collector can gather in a looong life (I'm kidding there aren't so many fakes around, to tell the truth, and the ones I have seem are really ... fake). I'll keep in mind your advice, be sure. Thanks a lot