Internet Horology Club 185
Carmena Nivarox?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/59410772

February 21, 2009, 21:12
Steve Gossard
Carmena Nivarox?
I bought this watch because of the "Nivarox" reference, which I understand was the swiss version of Elinvar. Can anyone tell me who made it, and when?

March 03, 2009, 08:13
Cooksey Shugart
Hello Steve, Nivarox make hairsprings and mainsprings which is now owned by Swatch. Also a Company "Far" make escapements owned by Swatch and they both make about 80% - 90% of hairsprings, mainsprings and escapements for all swiss watch movements.
Cooksey
March 03, 2009, 11:53
Steve Gossard
Thanks Cooksey. I think that must mean it's a really good watch! How does that compare to Elinvar?

Steve G.
March 03, 2009, 23:20
Michael Loggins
Not all Nivarox is created equal. I belive I've heard of three grades of the stuff and it affects the cost and quality of the watch.

Elinvar Extra (Hamilton's proprietary hairspring steel) is probably still considered the best although its manufacturing process has been lost along the way.
March 04, 2009, 09:05
Steve Gossard
I suppose it must depend on the quality of the alloy. That is interesting. Thanks!
March 06, 2009, 12:28
Michael Loggins
Even when Hamilton was still making their proprietary Elinvar Extra for railroad watches, they used the best for their 950b watch and a lesser testing version for their 992b. From what I can tell, both might have come out of the same batch of steel. It was as much art as science. May be the same with Nivarox.