Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bulova watch cleaning question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Greetings all,

Last week I sent a 1954 Bulova ladies watch to Bulova in New York for a quote on cleaning, oiling and just getting the watch running. The quote was for just over $100.00. It's a little bitty thing, and it's only because of sentimental value that I'm really trying to decide if I should go ahead and do it. My big question; is the watch even worth that much to begin with? I'm struggling to decide if it is worth the time (and of course, money) to put that much into a watch that may only be worth half of the cleaning charge. I know that most people here will probably chuckle at the hesitation to spend $100 on a watch (I've seen what some people spend here Razz), but these days, that a couple of tanks of gas! Anyway, any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated.
Ed

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
You have two routes to go. If there is enough good memories involved then fix it or just keep it as is. No the watch would not sell for $100 to most people. But that is not a really high price if that is the cap on the price. I am sure several people in the club (myself included) could do it cheaper if it only needs a cleaning. I am fixing my grandfather's watch for his name sake and if I charged what it's worth for the work it would be dumb to do. But it has fond memories attached to this watch. Good-luck what ever you do.

Posts: 87 | Location: Home of Hampden Watches, Canton Ohio USA | Registered: January 18, 2004
posted
Ed,
I think Mike summed it up very well. I'm sure a lot of us have faced exactly
the same issue with family heirloom watches, I know I have.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Mike and Dave.

Thanks for your input. After thinking about it for probably too long, I went ahead and had the watch fixed up. The attached picture may not be the greatest, but hopefully it shows the improvement. It's running, it's not tarnished anymore and my mom will get a nice birthday present in a week or so. And it was actually a little less than originally quoted, which was a nice bonus! I just wanted to wrap the thread up and show the end result and a happy ending is the best way to do it! Big Grin

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005