Internet Horology Club 185
European Extraordinary Watchmaker: Swiss Vacuum Chronometer Corp.

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/5901008672

September 10, 2007, 07:52
Claude Girardin
European Extraordinary Watchmaker: Swiss Vacuum Chronometer Corp.
As many have shared the idea to start a forum dedicated to the European Watchmakers, I venture to submit to your perusal, as a base of a discussion, one of the most extraordinary watch, which I have worn and still own and cherish:

The Vacuum Chronometer:

http://www.worldtempus.com/wt/1/11615/4219

which could have become a revolutionary item for automatic movements, had it not been that it had just really got started at the moment where, unfortunately, in 1971 the dollar's value was halved against the SFR and all out Japanese Quartz attack swept the market around 1975.

Who has ever heard about it? Who has seen one or owns one?
September 10, 2007, 09:45
Dave Freeman
Claude,
seeing you article reminded me that I've got a couple of this style
of watch. Mine are gold capped over stainless steel. From what
I know of them, I think they were imported for a store
like Nieman Marcus and sold under the brand name of Andre Pailet.

My watches have been in my misc watch box. I believe they both need
some work to get them operational. Maybe from two watches one good
one could be made. (maybe you'd be interested) Wink

Here's a picture of one of mine.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321
September 12, 2007, 00:34
Cort Moore
Very beautiful watches! The one I had kept time as well as anything I've ever owned. I especially liked the simplicity of the hands.

In the end, it was the tar sludge used to seal the crystal that had stopped it. After I figured out the crystal clamps I still couldn't budge the crystal. I glued something to it and even warmed it a bit until the crystal pulled free. Some of the sealant had oozed out far enough to grab the second hand. Although it was no longer vacuum sealed, it was a marvelous timekeeper!
-Cort
September 14, 2007, 14:44
Claude Girardin
The inventor and designer of the Vacuum concept and watches, Hans-Ulrich Klingenberg (HUK) could only start his own operation on January 5th, 1966, upon the abbrogation of the "statut horloger", which prohibited newcomers to establish themselves.

Before, he was the top salesman of the company Glycine & Altus, which had a U.S. distribution office in St. Louis. Next to their own brand, they did a lot of PL for many dealers in U.S.A., including Zale's. In fact, he became a good friend of old Mauric B. Zale and his step-son, Leo Fields!

Those watches are all repairable, spares are still available at Century Time Gems: www.century.com
email: info@century.com

Philippe Klingenberg, HUK's third son would sure appreciate reading your very positive comments and try and assist you. (you can use me as a reference for sure).

I am not sure whether he still has enough vacuum pumps available though, but perhaps he or his might still know which repair centre still has some and the hability to use them.

It could be really the time to revive the concept and the brand. As you see, my heart has been beating for that product since I started in the watch business as a young guy!

Of course in the old days, those watches fitted very well with the large "credit jewelers" dealers, who would buy them for hard USD (at the time 1 dollars was buying some 4.5 - to 5 1960-70 CHF). Doomsday in US sales came when the dollar value against CHF was all of a sudden halved in 1971).

BTW, the hands are also HUK's design and were a great technical achievement at the 1960 state of the art (I guess very much so still, as the people who used to manufacture them in quantities have long gone in pension, as perhaps the necessary original toolings and know-how).
September 14, 2007, 16:54
Dave Freeman
Claude,
if I were interested in getting my watch restored do you think Century could do this?

I expect the cost involved may be prohibitive?

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321
September 15, 2007, 04:23
Claude Girardin
Dave, Century Time Gems and Vacuum Chronometer Corporation are sister companies, created by the same person: HUK and now owned by his son Philippe.

Of course they could do the job. As for the price, I feel that you should not be shy to ask Philippe for a most favourable offer, mentioning you status as an American Watch Connoissor .