• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

sekonda "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, greetings from Australia. I have a late 1970s seconda de-luxe 23 jewel with a sweet luch 2209 movement. It belonged to my father and was thrown in a draw after many years when it stopped working. I recently started playing with pocket watches and managed to save a few from the scrap heap; with a little help from this forum. I rediscovered the sekonda and thought id have a go at fixing it. It was quite an easy strip and clean, (once i figured out that the movement came out through the front after the cloudy and scratched crystal was removed). The repair was as simple as replacing the hour wheel (which had stipped a few teeth). A few parts were sourced including an original replacement crystal and a new case clamp and screw. The watch now runs and keeps realy good time.
The bad part is, I cant get the thing back in the case. The movement just wont sit in far enough. The dial just wont fit in the recess. I CAN SEE WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE! But it wont fit In the hole it came out of. The appature seems a fraction too small. I tried to gently pull it in with the case clamps , but the face just sits too far forwardunder this tension and I cannot get the minute hand on. Out of the case, all is fine. There must be a knack to refit it. It came out easily, therefore it must go back in. I thought about heating the case to see if it expands enouh to give clearance. I also thought about a crystal lifter to coax the dial (which has curved edges) back in.
So now, help and assistance is needed.
It wont beat me
Thanks in advance for the help.

Posts: 35 | Location: Victoria in Australia | Registered: July 30, 2013
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Paul,
Difficult not having it in hand, or pictures, I would remove the dial and try the movement and dial in the case separately, for fit, if it came out there no reason it should not go back in without the need to heat or bend things, one common problem often there is a spacer ring between movement and dial, which often fit the other way round than you would expect and hold the dial proud. also make sure stem pressed in when refitting being a two part stem.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thanks Chris, the issue seems to be the dial. Sorry if my explanatin was poor. The dial is curved at the edges, almost the same profile as the crystal. It fits in a recess just below the crystal groove. I have tried it without the movement and it just wont go in. Its close, and I could force it, but i dont want to do that.; particularly with the movement attached.
Its almost as if it needs to be compressed in the same fasion as a acrylic crystal.
The movement fits snug and correct without the dial.
I will try to add some photos when I can.

posted
Well, at this point, the feeling of stupidity is only surpassed by the relief of discovering.............indeed, there was a crytal bezel, and no! I hadnt taken it off.
The old crytal was cracked and came out easily, and so did the movement and dial. Probably because one of the dail feet was broken and a case clamp was missing.
I didnt see the join in the case until it was mentioned on another site and didnt really expect it on a wristwatch.

But the words crystal bezel have now join the upper echelon of major lessons learned on the learning curve that this hobby has thrown me on.

The watch is now fixed and reassembled with a luch dial that does it a little more justice than the original, which was scratched and faded and had a broken foot.I couldnt find an identical dial, but at least it matches the movement. Funny, but the old man always said it would be easier to read with a white dial.
Thanks so much for the help. These forums are awesome and I always try to return the favour, be it cars, guns or motorcycles. Or some day...... watches!

posted
The crystal bezel that aused me much head scratching and the original dial, which was a little too damaged for what I had in mind.