Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ultra-rare Hamilton Electric - "Titan IV-B" "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
This was an exciting find for me after more than 20 years of searching -- the "Titan IV-B." I certainly don't think it's the most attractive watch I've ever seen, in fact it's definitely not to my taste. But it is vastly rarer than the 'usual' Hamilton Electric rarities like the "Altair" or "Nautilus 403," or for that matter even the 18K rose gold "Ventura" or solid gold "Pacer." Until this one turned up in Michigan I'd only ever even heard of two others. One was in a noted collection in Lancaster, PA, later sold to another California collector. The other belonged to the widow of a Hamilton salesman in my area. I restored it for her many years ago but she wouldn't consider selling it.

One reason it's so rare is that it was the most expensive watch in the Electric line -- $400 when released on April 22, 1966. (That's twice as much as the "Ventura.") The body of the case is the same as the common "Titan II" but without the lugs; the dial and crystal are identical to the "Titan III". However, unlike those gold-filled watches this case is 14K solid gold, as is the integrated mesh band. It's very feminine by today's standards but was marketed as a very upscale formal men's watch.

You never know what may turn up!

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Rene describes watches like a grape grower describes wine !

This is a profound rarity. When Rene compares this to the 18K Rose Gold Ventura, it is as rare as it gets.

I'm really delighted for you Rene. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Smile

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Rene
That is a beautiful watch thanks for showing it..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Frank Wilson
posted
Very nice find Rene Wink

Posts: 174 | Location: La Quinta, California USA | Registered: February 25, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Now find a BARBIZON !

dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Absolutely beautiful example!

To help put things in context, that same year a new 1966 Pontiac Bonneville with practically every option had a $5,200.00 window sticker.

Thanks René, just...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002