WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

REVIEW: Invicta Special Edition Railroad Approved Day/Date "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
My customers are always wanting Accutron RR Approved wrists, problem is they are hard to find especially in good cosmetic and running order.

There are many railroad approved wrists out there, but little or none with a nice strap...most have bracelets.

I thought I'd try a few of these, and here's what I found:

Invicta Model 1038 Special Edition has a dial almost exactly like the Accutron, it is about 43MM
wide, and only 7MM thick. Stands 50MM lug to lug.
What I immediately liked was how light the watch was, and how nicely it fit on my wrist. 43MM is larger than most, but not at all overbearing:

Comes in a nice presentation box, about the size of a carton of cigarettes, retail tagged $495.00:

Case is all stainless steel, snap back, powered by a Japanese Quartz (Seiko/Citizen) movement, which should be very dependable and long lasting:

The strap is a nylon weave, looks to be very durable and again, nice and light. Nice stainless buckle with the Invicta winged logo:

The best part about this watch is the dial...nice and readable! Also has blue (not blued, not furnace blued, just plain 'ol blue) hands and a red sweep. Canadian 24 hr Numerals too! No luminous indices, but during daylight or low light situations will work well, especially if your eyes are a bit tired like mine:

Nice crown with crown guards. Not a locking stem

Verdict: Just a nice light, very readable inexpensive every day watch to wear for not a lot of money, one that should be durable enough as well as easily readable and a light fit. I also have them below if anyone's interested. You might consider giving one a try.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1369
posted
Very nice looking watch, Tom. Have not seen or heard of these before. Do I take it that these are new?

Ralph

Posts: 542 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 10, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

All the Invicta watches are sharply styled and of high quality, they are among my favorites in my own personal collection. I can tell you from personal experience, whether you are looking for a new "daily wear" watch or for interesting collectables Invictas will not let you down.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Nice report and great pictures. CSX uses 24 hour format for train orders and official information.

Posts: 77 | Location: Hartford, Connecticut in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2010
IHC Member 935
posted
I am glad that I bought one of these models from Todd, even though I have about four other RR wristwatches, including Ball,Accutron and Seiko. The Invicta is a bright star in that collection. The numerals are big and thus highly readable. My bifocal eyes have some difficulty with the small day/date feature, but I overlook that. This is a great daily wearer as well as a significant work item. I work at Amtrak. Thanks Todd!

Posts: 175 | Location: Davis, California USA | Registered: March 10, 2007
Picture of Donald E. Jones
posted
I just bought one of these watches, and boy is it big! About the size of a 12 size pocket watch.

D. E. Jones

Posts: 73 | Location: Sulphur Springs, Texas USA | Registered: June 29, 2006
IHC Member 1338
posted
UPDATE: I got a couple of the LADY RR Approved
in and they are almost the same size as the original Accutrons, very readable as well.

The strap should fit an average man's wrist too.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008