• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help me identify this Caravelle "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Did Bulova produce any "good" watches under their Caravelle name? I found a 17jewel 11DP Japan
movement It is marked(on back) stainless steel,anti-
magnetic,water-proof,shock resistant.It runs a little slow. I would like to get it running right
if it was worth the investment. Any info. on the watch would be great.
John Dolan-member

Posts: 27 | Location: Cohoes, New York in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2010
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
John, At the very top of your post, do a Find-Or-Search with word Caravelle. You might get some good info. Here is a link.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...166005263#9166005263

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
posted
Wayne,
Thanks for the suggestion. The link was helpful, good background. What I am curious about is the movement, model 11DP 17 jewels,Japan. I'm a novice
here. I started here by looking into my fathers
Illinois 23 jewel 60 hour bunn special (type 3)
with 14k 2 tone keystone case 173 (factory pattern back) marked dial. Beautiful RR pocket watch.
Now I have this caravelle in my hand. I must admit when I think of Japan movements I think of
inexpensive quartz types. I was impressed with the movement when I took off the back.
Hopefully someone will respond with some info. on the watch.
Again, Thanks
John

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi John,

Caravelle was Bulova's other brand, often sold in department stores when Bulova was primarily in jewelry stores. Many of the Caravelles featured top quality movements. That number 11DP may help narrow it down but a good, clear picture showing movement details would be a big help too.

I know what you mean about "Japan" on products, we once thought of "cheap" as having the same meaning but today some of the strongest, best running movements are from Japan. One example, the Miyota 8215 is extremely popular and renowned as an excellent timekeeper.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Lindell,
Thanks for the suggestion. I waited for my new(old)
Caravelle band before uploading some pictures. Hopefully
someone will recognize the movement or watch.
John

posted
I have to post them one at a time John

posted
one more

posted
Caravelle 11DP was made by Citizen, and was supplied in 7 and 17 jewel versions. There may be an actual Citizen caliber number under balance i.e. 0162. This movement was very successful for Bulova. Other factories producing movements for Bulova/Caravelle were PUW (Porta Uhrwerke)of W. Germany and the old Swiss standbys of ETA and A.Schild. In fact As 1916 was used by both Caravell AND LeCoultre! It's amusing to see a LeCoultre Club automatic day/date get bid up to 900 bucks with a common AS [A. Schild] movement!

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
posted
William,
Thank you very much for the information. I found a caliber number under the balance wheel 0241 or 7 ,tough to see the last digit. You said this movement was very successful for Bulova, can I assume it keep good time? Also, Could you estimate the age of the watch and perhaps a value?
The Complete Price Guide does not mention Caravelles .

posted
There should be a date code on the case back-for example: M=1960s and N=1970s, so: M9=1969 and N7=1977 etc. I believe these Caravelle movements date to late 1960s to early 1970s. I have a chart somewhere of Citizen caliber numbers to Bulova model numbers. NOTE: Citizen movements sold to other brands to this day are marked MIYOTA. Also, their newer quartz movements do not always have caliber numbers.

posted
William,
Thanks again. M7 on the back so 1967 right?
Now I just need an an educated guess as to its value today. Any idea what it sold for in the sixties? Sorry to keep picking your brain. John

posted
I wouldn't place a high value on these as they were produced in large quantities. The better Caravelles are the ones with with AS automatic movements and some unique designs and styling. There is a Caravelle/Citizen ladies nurses model that was very popular Caliber RK or RO. Their value is just in their eye appeal to the wearer. These may catch on as collectables eventually. Citizen produced durable movements that kept good enough time. The real irony now is that Citizen now owns Bulova! In recent years Bulova kept using Citizen movements in their watches (along with other companies) and was using ETA automatics (2824-2 and VAL 7750) for their ACCUTRON line. They retained rights to the Accutron name and tuning fork logo) I figure the days of ETA movements in Bulova watches are over.

posted
Wiliam,

Thanks again. I don't think a $200.00 cleaning and timing is justified at this time.
My Illinois R.R watch comes first. Your information greatly helped in my decision.

John D.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Need a back plate for my Caravelle. It's an old 11dp but runs very well. I just need a back plate or a case I can put it in.
Anybody got some old parts laying around? My measurement on the case back opening is 28.4 mm.

Thanks,

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011