• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

BALL INDIMATIC "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am wondering if any BALL INDIMATIC watches were solid gold. I had assumed gold filled but note that scratches on the case seem to be gold color even at the deepest part of the scratch?
Joe

Posts: 3 | Location: Bristol, New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2011
posted
I forgot to post the link to photos.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170701....l2649#ht_500wt_1156

Posts: 3 | Location: Bristol, New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Joseph,

We usually discuss On-Line Trading items only in "Avoiding the PITFALLS of On-Line Trading" due to potential for liability. Please do accept my invitation to Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185™ at your earliest convenience, there are many worthwhile benefits and the cost of membership is only $12.00 a year.

To specifics on the "Ball Indimatic" you asked about, apparently the case markings are worn away, that might at first tend to suggest Solid Gold but it is always wisest to bid as if you are assuming Gold-Filled in the absence of specifics. However, when looking more closely at the auction images I believe there is apparent wear-through to the base-metal showing which is a sure sign of a Gold-Filled or Rolled Gold Plate case. Always check the edges for wear on any watch case or other item of jewelry because that is where the wear first becomes obvious.

By the way here is a topic where these were previously discussed in detail... IHC185 TOPIC FROM 2004: BALL INDIMATIC QUESTION Note the previous discussion dealt with an apparently identical watch and it was identified as being a Keystone Gold-Filled Case, this one likely is as well.

In the image below I placed red arrows pointing to four areas where wear-through looks to be in evidence on the Ball Indimatic you were asking about.

Hope this is of help,

Lindell

Wink

Wear to base metal is usually a good "test" of case content...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks so much for your help.
Joe