Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cal 51 chrono "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I just finished this nice little chronograph and thought that I would share some pictures of it. It was a non-runner, and I had some concerns that there may be an escapement problem.
I found the problem, the pallet bridge screw was a replacement and too high, rubbing on the balance wheel, and that was the only issue.

After a good cleaning, she ran nicely. After a second wind up, the brand new Swiss mainspring snapped, and I had to take the chronograph apart to get to the mainspring. Oh well, that's life in watch repair.

Great little watch though, and really well engineered.

Here are the pictures.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
main part of the watch together and clean

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
All back together and running fine.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Scott good job looks like it cleaned up great your right these are good movements ,,hard too find one nowdays that,s not all messed up.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Scott

Please show a pic with dial & case. Nifty movement!

Wayne

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hi Wayne,
Left the dial original, new crystal. 18kt case.

q

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Beutiful Watch. Was it a white alloy mainspring or did you do what I do and try to use up my Older black mainsprings first. I have had even the new white one break even thought they are advertised UNBREAKABLE.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Eugene,

On this watch I orderd a new one and put it in. They are in stock and available.
But, I just did a Hampden 6 size, put a new alloy spring, didn't need to adjust it around the arbor or anything, fit perfectly, and it snapped right at the hole after the second wind.

Doesn't happen very often, but can happen. I think that if it is going to break, it will break not long after you put it in. If you can get three or four winds, you are probably good for 20 years or more.

posted
Beautiful watch! I just bought one exactly like it. Needs a new mainspring. Do you have one for sale??
Thanks
Ethan

Posts: 13 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri in the USA | Registered: August 15, 2010
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Ethan,
You can purchase the mainsprings for this movement from any of the main suppliers. I believe that I got mine from either Casker or Jules Borel.

posted
I got my mainspring last week and reassembled and she runs just great. Thanks to all those who contribute their thoughts. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will!
Best
Ethan

Posts: 13 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri in the USA | Registered: August 15, 2010
posted
Scott, that's a real nice piece of work. I'm curious to know what you are paying for a mainspring these days. A couple of years ago they took a jump here from an average of about $7 to $45 and some of the double braced ones for 18s are in the $80's.

Regards, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005