Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A pretty good Hamilton "Click" to Login or Register 
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
At the Greater Los Angeles Regional last weekend, I came across this little gem... it is a Hamilton Glenn Curtiss in 18K gold made for Tiffany & Co... only 26 examples were produced in total.

Actually, I came across 2 of them at that show... but the second one was pried from my fingers and is now residing in a West Coast collection.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
The watch is EXTRAORDINARY! What a tremendous rarity. It really doesn't get more interesting than this. Bryan has shared with us some remarkable Hamilton watches. Remember those Amazing Cadillac Meadowbrooks? They have fantastic engravings. This watch is even more special. As an aside, check out the photo. Look at the quality of the photo. Notice the positions of the hour, minute and second hands. 10:12 and 30 seconds. Perfect in every way. I'm a huge fan of Bryan Girouard, and greatly appreciate the education. This is fantastic.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks... I intended to shoot the photo with the hands at straight-up 10:12 like Hamilton used in its catalog illustrations, but the phone rang at the critical moment and spoiled the shot.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Egad, I hope that wasn't when I called you yesterday... Wink

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Alas, it was... my day was ruined. I'll never be able to enjoy another sunset or the sounds of birds singing.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
I have a funny feeling that he will enjoy the watch.... Big Grin

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
TWO of them at the show??? I guess I really blew it by not attending! Great finds, to say the least......

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
Bryan,

Any chance of sharing your photography techniques (especially the lighting position)? Many of us are unable to achieve your quality, and I for one, would love for my collection to look as nice as your website shots.

Posts: 113 | Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
According to records this model, and a few others like the Capt.Rice, have "hand-made" cases - is there any more known on how these cases were made and about the case Co. which made them -- as they do seem of very fine quality.

dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
The first batch of Glenn Curtiss cases was produced for Hamilton by Perrin Co., an evidently obscure watch case company. Later ones were made by Luttringer & Wittmer, which later produced a number of models for Hamilton in the 1930s and 1940s.

Hamitlon's records do indicate that these were handmade cases, although I don't know what was involved in their manufacture. I have records of Hamilton's cost to have the cases made, and the handmade cases cost siginficantly more than those cases not marked as handmade.

For example, the 14K Cambridge case (NOT noted as handmade) cost $19.00, while the 14K Glenn Curtiss case (handmade, [and with similar gold content as the Cambridge]) cost $30.00, and the 18K Glenn Curtiss case cost $34.00 and later $36.25.

As a side note, the handmade cases tend to be EXTREMELY tight-fitting. I've broken several crystals on my Byrd and Glenn Curtisses snapping the cases together.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, regarding watch photography, I simply place two 40W or 60W soft white incandescent bulbs on either side of the watch, about 2 feet away. I shoot under a home-made light tent pieced together from several sheets of onion-skin paper. Camera is about 5 inches above the watch.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Bryan, do you always remove the crystal in your photos?

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Yes, I usually remove the crystal when taking pictures... one less reflection to try to minimize.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Bryan great looking watch and 18k wow. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Everyone,

Check out Bryan's website...

It's called
Art Deco Wristwatches

Cool

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002