• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rolex Info. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I asked about this watch before, but now I know what it says inside. The dial is marked as follows: Rolex; Oyster Perpetual; Air King; Precision. It is all stainless steel, with the appropriate Rolex steel band. The dial is a silver? color.Inside the case is 5500; 1-66 and the movement is marked caliber 1520, 26 fine rubies. The serial number is 333,393. The person who cleaned it suggests that it was marketed outside the U.S., since it lacks any mention of adjustments. I am going to sell this for a friend and don't want to give out wrong or incomplete data. Shugart's book only shows Air Kings up to 25 jewels. I assume he is wrong. What can you tell me?

Jerry Freedman

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
Jerry,
any chance you can post a couple of pictures, it would help a lot.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Dave: I have added a picture of the face only. The specks you see in the image do not exist. The crystal is perfectly clear, and the dial is perfect. I did not photograph the band since it is a typical Rolex stainless steel band with all the proper marks on it. The crown, which is screw down also has the correct Rolex symbol. I would like to know the meaning of the numbers I submitted in the first post. If you can give me some guidelines on the value I will listen to offers now before I list it.

Jerry Freedman

posted
I forgot to mention that I think the serial number is missing a digit. I don't have the tool to reopen the watch.

posted
Probably NOT missing a number. For a brief period Rolex reused serial numbers and instead , put the date of manufacture on the inside of the case. The 1/66 means manuf. First quarter of 1966.

Many watches with "presicion" on them were made for the Canadian market but this is not ALWAYS the case.

THe 5500 is a very popular reference number.

Jeff Hess

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003