Internet Horology Club 185
Hamilton ?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/4071055201

January 31, 2005, 18:00
Jim Cope
Hamilton ?
...have reviewed the pics in Shugart's handbook three times now and I can't id this Hamilton ww...is there some significance to the fact that the Hamilton name on the dial is qualified by the word 'Movement'?...also, since I am now beginning to collect Hamilton wws, is the R. Rondeau book " Hamilton Wristwatches: a Collector's Guide' the definitive reference for these wws?...

January 31, 2005, 20:24
Tom Huber
Jim, I think I can answer your question as to why it isn't in the book. The key is the name on the dial. This is an after market case that came to a jeweler with the case, dial and hands. This one was made to accept a Hamilton movement as it says. These could be bought for any of the American brands. After the customer would select the case, the jeweler would take the customer's Hamilton movement, probably from a worn out or damaged case, and recase it to give the customer a new watch. These were also used for jewelers to case up movements that they had from gold watches that they had scrapped.

Hope this helps.

Tom
January 31, 2005, 20:47
Jim Cope
...it sure does help Tom...explains a great deal about the watch as it now appears...thanks Smile !...
February 01, 2005, 06:41
William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
I agree that this is an after market case, but would also respectfully suggest that this is also an aftermarket dial. My bet is the only thing "Hamilton" about this watch is the movement.

As for books, Rene Rondeau's Collector's Guide is the current gold-standard published Hamilton guide to wrist watches. Don Sauer's out of print book: Time For America, Hamilton Watch Co. 1892 - 1992 is the story of the company. It shows up on Ebay from time to time.

I know of other collectors & researchers who are working to produce an on-line web-site and data base with what will be the most comprehensive, detailed catalog of the early Hamilton wrist watches. It is not my project, but my hope is that it will be unveiled soon. Stay tuned...

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17
February 01, 2005, 09:32
Jeffrey P. Hess
Bill,

If memroy serves, tehre was a lawsuit when these cases were first put on the market. They are rather commonplace and were manufactured after the fact in EXACT sizes to the more common movements by Waltham, Elgin and Hamilton.

After the lawsuit (Hamilton, ELGIN WALTHAM ETC, were JUST as litigious in theri day as Rolex when protecting their property) the recasers started using the "Hamilton Movement" and "Waltham Movement" dial designations.

Hope this helps!
Jeff Hess
February 01, 2005, 09:40
William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
Jeff, Thanks so much. I didn't know that, but it sure makes sense.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17
February 01, 2005, 12:07
Jim Cope
...thanks fellas for the info 'tis much appreciated....
February 01, 2005, 20:51
Tom Huber
Bill, The dial is an aftermarket. The dials came with the cases, and in most instances, they included the hands. These can still be found as new/old stock.

Tom
February 01, 2005, 22:29
Frank Wilson
Imagine my surprise when I bought one of these watches and found a 979 serial number 2901714.
Frank