Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 748 Wristy!! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
How common is the 748 Hamilton movement is it something special. I bought a load of nice looking wristies and trying to get them listed and do not ever remember seeing a 948. I have seen the 947's before.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
I am not quite as knowledgable on wristies as I am on pockets and even that is still not enough to mention. Here is a picture of the front Nice looking 14K case. still can't take pictures without a shadow either!! Razz

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Another Hammy I will be listing soon Big Grin

IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
Your first watch is a "Fleetwood," released in 1949 with either silver or black dial. It's a very nice design with unusual lugs.

The 748 is perhaps slightly less common than the 747, but it's not scarce at all. Obviously it's just a reworked variation of the 747, with center sweep seconds instead of the usual sub-track at 6. It's a well-made movement.

The second watch is a "Martin," a pretty common style -- 67,177 made in yellow, 6,111 made in rose gold-fill. The rose ones are obviously scarcer and more sought-after.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Boy that was quick! Thanks for info Rene.

IHC Life Member
posted
And Another! Remeber, I list all at no reserve and I do give 100% satisfactory Guarantee.
Ok I will not fill this thread up with listing pictures you can click on my link to see them if interested.

IHC Life Member
posted
Ok one more 18K Patek Philippe ladies watch I will show you the movement Is this the Gyromax balance they talk about and what are the Pro's to it.

IHC Life Member
posted
Wristie's are listed if anyone is interested all offered at no reserve. Wink

IHC Life Member
posted
Hey for all you experts in the wristwatch field how can you tell by looking at a wristwatch dial whether is has been refinished or not. I know on swiss watches the word swiss in not printed back on the bottom but on american watches how can you tell???? Confused

posted
Rob,

Nice wristwatches all. As to your question about refinishing, you might want to read this older post on the subject.

I might add that in my experience, Hamilton dials refinish quite nicely, and there are at least two of the major refinishing houses that do exceptionally well with them. One of them allegedly has the original dies, and from what I've seen of their work, I tend to believe it.

And if you find anyone who can do decent work on a painted Gruen Curvex dial, please let me know!

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Cary I guess it still boils down to experience also getting used to noticing detail.

IHC Life Member
posted
If the dial has a "pearled" minute track, i.e. little, usually gold, dots at every minute position, then it is usually easy to tell if the dial has been refinished. These little minute dots are seldom put back in precisely the same place and out-of-line dots are easily seen.

Dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005