Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Accutron tuning fork movements? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I have a friend here at work who brought by an Accutron 218 that he had received as a wedding gift from his wife 28 years ago. He took it to a local jeweler, who sent it back to Bulova to be refurbished, as it had stopped running many years ago. They did a wonderful job, by the way. Looks brand new!

He told me he was given the choice to replace the movement with a quartz (the route he chose) OR a new tuning fork movement for $50 more! Now, how is this possible? I thought all tuning fork movement production ended in the 70's? Surely they don't have THAT many stockpiled from the old days?

Any thoughts?

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Apparently not! Big Grin

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
If there is a stockpile of tuning fork movements they're sitting on a gold mine. I suspect they would have no trouble selling as many as they have. It seems highly unlikely though, since there's a good market for used parts.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Mark,

My feeling is that either your friend was not told the whole story or he is not explaining it to you very well. First, the work in question was probably not being done by Bulova but by some outside independent repair facility. Second, if there was an Accutron movement offered to him it would have been reconditioned rather than a new one. As you realized and John pointed out there have not been new Accutron movements available for quite a number of years.

Accutrons are unique, wonderful and very reliable watches when properly maintained so changing that movement is not a choice I would have made.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I totally agree, John/Lindell. That's why I asked. I, too, have a feeling the offered movement would have HAD to have been reconditioned, but his story was the jeweler told him it was sent directly to Bulova, and those were the choices offered.

So, sounds to me like someone at the 'Bulova' end of things was a not offering a complete picture.

Thanks all. You've confirmed what I already suspected.

Regards! Mark