Internet Horology Club 185
The Illinois Watch, a New Book, by Fred Friedberg

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/398003116

January 12, 2004, 10:26
William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
The Illinois Watch, a New Book, by Fred Friedberg
This is exciting news. Fred Friedberg, a watch collector and an authority on Illinois watches is about to publish a book:

The Illinois Watch: The life and Times of a Great American Watch Company.

I can't wait. I've already ordered several copies in the "pre-publication sale".

Fred is a gem of man. He has been supportive of my efforts in developing a collection of Hamilton wrist watches. He sold me one of my prized watches, the Pinehurst. He is quick to respond to my emails asking him about various Illinois watches, and he shares his time and information graciously.

You can access more information by visiting the following site:

http://www.illinoiswatches.com/

Feel free to email him directly. If you do decide to order, mention my name and I suspect he will add $5.00 to the price (just kidding).

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
January 12, 2004, 10:56
Jerry Treiman
It looks like an excellent book for wristwatch enthusiasts but, based on the information on the web-link, pocketwatch folk may be a little disappointed. Am I correct on this assessment?
January 12, 2004, 11:47
William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
According to the web site (questions for author), the following Q & A speaks to the question about pocket watch information:'

Q -- What do you mean when you say much of the information in your book is applicable to pocket watches?
A -- Fair question. In the book all of the information relating to the history of the company, the rise of strap watches from pocket watches, the life in the factory and working conditions of the employees, movement construction, production numbers and dates and pictures of workers performing the various tasks, the methods of making porcelain and metal dials, case makers used by Illinois and the chapter on company ephemera and related material are virtually the same for pocket watches and wristwatches. Only Chapter 7 the wristwatch Identification Guide and the Values Chapter are geared only to wristwatches. However, many of the Illinois advertisements featured in the Identification Guide and the Ephemera chapter have pocket watch items as well as other pocket watch promotional material. This book should serve as a valuable reference guide to the both the pocket and wristwatch collector.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
January 12, 2004, 14:38
Jim Cope
...looks like a reference I'd like to have...Jim C
January 12, 2004, 14:59
William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
Never one to wait until the last minute, I bought 5 copies. My dad and brother will enjoy the book!

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
January 13, 2004, 10:20
William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
Fred Friedberg was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey. After graduating from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, he earned a Juris Doctorate degree from the Washington College of Law at American University in Washington, D.C. He currently works as a Senior Vice President and General Counsel at Toshiba America Medical Systems, Inc. in Tustin, California and resides in nearby Irvine with his wife, Joy. Their sons attend the University of California, Santa Barbara where Josh is in graduate school and Zach is an undergraduate.

Fred became an active collector of Illinois watches in the late 1980s. He has long anticipated documenting the knowledge he has gained in his pursuit of these wonderful Art Deco/Streamline Moderne examples of America's industrial design heritage. Fred serves as Vice President of the National Special Interest Chapter 181 for Wristwatches of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
January 13, 2004, 10:24
William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
As you can tell by visiting the website, www.illinoiswatches.com, Fred has been very busy recently. He also has a day job. My sincere hope is that he will be one of the next members of the IHC. Boy, could we benefit from his knowledge about Illinois and Hamilton watches.

In the meantime, You may feel free to contact him with questions/thoughts/suggestions, or a subtle nudge to join the IHC at:

Fred@Illinoiswatches.com or at (949) 854-6231

Fred Friedberg was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey. After graduating from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, he earned a Juris Doctorate degree from the Washington College of Law at American University in Washington, D.C. He currently works as a Senior Vice President and General Counsel at Toshiba America Medical Systems, Inc. in Tustin, California and resides in nearby Irvine with his wife, Joy. Their sons attend the University of California, Santa Barbara where Josh is in graduate school and Zach is an undergraduate.

Fred became an active collector of Illinois watches in the late 1980s. He has long anticipated documenting the knowledge he has gained in his pursuit of these wonderful Art Deco/Streamline Moderne examples of America's industrial design heritage. Fred serves as Vice President of the National Special Interest Chapter 181 for Wristwatches of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
January 15, 2004, 20:53
Lindell V. Riddle

Bill and Everyone,

It is with great pride and pleasure that I welcome Fred Friedberg as Internet Horology Chapter 185 Member Number 314. Fred registered on the site earlier this afternoon and along with all of you I look forward to his participation.

And Fred, put me on the list for an autographed copy of your book!

Lindell

Wink

January 15, 2004, 22:50
Fred Friedberg
Thank you for the very nice welcome. I am eager to help answer questions concerning Illinois watches or my book.Just let me know.
Fred
January 16, 2004, 07:20
William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
Last year I received an email from a fellow collector, a family doc in Wilminton Ohio. He said that a friend, Fred Friedberg, was selling a Hamilton Pinehurst, a very VERY rare 14K yellow gold watch from the 1930's. Less than 300 were made.

It took me about 3 seconds to decide to buy it.

While I don't know anybody who is more expert on Illinois watches, I know very few who are more educated about Hamilton watches. This is really going to be fun having Fred on our team.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198

[This message was edited by William J. Hansen, Ph.D. on January 16, 2004 at 12:58.]

Pinehurst

February 21, 2004, 00:19
Lindell V. Riddle

Everyone,

Fred Friedberg has a web-site detailing and previewing his upcoming book...

http://www.illinoiswatches.com/

Check it all out, this will be a "must-have" watch book my friends!

Lindell

Wink

February 21, 2004, 13:14
William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
LOL! This is a funny thread. My first post on this topic included the web site of Fred's book. I can't wait to have my hands on a copy. I bought 5, as I have every belief that this will make a very fine gift.

All the Best

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198