Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tube lug Bulova "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert

posted
Does anyone know the model name of this tube-lug Bulova? I've run across literally a dozen of them in the 15 or so years I've been dealing in vintage watches. But the bracelet is always missing, leaving me to wonder what type of band/bracelet collectors are left to "jury rig" to this watch. Anyway, here's one with the original (albeit quite worn) bracelet in case anyone wants to know what they look like. The movement has a weird hieroglyphic mark on it, not like any I've seen (please see my next post on Bulova markings). If anyone knows the date corresponding to this movement, let me know (it's a little like trying to identify those weird crop circles supposedly left by aliens!)

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
posted
Hi Bruce,

You start some interesting topics!

Nice Bulova - is your case signed or stamped by Bulova?

If signed, the watch looks like it could be an American Eagle, Lone Eagle or President variation but I can't locate this specific watch in any of my books. Sorry I don't know the name for certain.

I too have seen these at marts and such. They are almost always missing the smaller tube lug section. When the bracelet was replaced, I believe the tube lug area was considered part of the bracelet and not considered to be part of the watch. Are these considered articulated lugs on the bracelet or are they an extension of the watch?

What I have seen when these tube lugs are missing is a generic replacement leather strap attached to the spring bars closest to the case (similar lugs found on the Hamilton Dodson or Sutton which are commonly photographed with leather straps and not metallic bracelets). When replaced on Bulova's like your example, the strap is generally larger than the spring bar and extends over the curved portion of the lugs. I feel this "upgrade" takes away from the design of the watch, obscures the style & effect of the lugs and gives a more common tank watch appearance. I generally don't care for metallic bracelets but in this instance it is my desired preference.

Barbara

Wink

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
Wristwatch Expert

posted
Yes, the case is signed BULOVA FIFTH AVE. NEW YORK on the inside of the case back.

Sure wish we could find some Chapter 185 members with old catalogs/flyers from companies like Bulova, Gruen, etc., who would be willing to loan them for digitizing. I'd love to see some of these old models with their "true" names rather than just "rectangle", "Square," etc., as labeled in THE BOOK. I'd sure be willing to do the scanning myself. Would love to find an original of the 1950s Gruen Masterbook, for example. If anyone has any old catalogs (1960s and before) I'd be willing to scan them and make the accessible to the group. Contact me at brucetime@inwave.com. I'll pay insured shipping both ways.

posted
I have one of these without the band. A friend of mine has one with the original(I think) band.
The band on his watch is connected to the watch similar to yours.But the band links are different.
I am looking for a band to fit mine.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Wristwatch Expert

posted
Mine is on the auction block if anyone is interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5026913280