• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can anyone tell me about colored crystals on wristwatches? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Several years ago, I purchased a wristwatch at an antique show.

Let me tell you a little about this wristwatch.
It's really not a big deal watch but what struck my fancy was the blue crystal (or plastic?) on the watch. It's a Gothic, and would you believe keeps good time and for a good length of time?

When I'm out and about searching for my passions in the collecting world (pocketwatches & wristwatchs and anything related that strikes my fancy- if you already don't know) I keep an eye out for colored crystal watches. Sometime back I read about colored crystals that came in yellow, red and blue. In fact, I could have sent off for those old crystals but didn't do it. I regret that.

Can anyone give me information on colored crystal watches? Smile

Does anyone own any colored crystal watch or pocketwatch?

Hope I get plenty response on this one.

Stephanie O'Neil
IASAC #0143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
I seem to remember that colored cyrstals were in use in the 1950's, probably the first 5 years of the decade.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Hi John,

I'm surprised by your answer. Early 1950's huh?
Do you know if colored crystals were put on pocketwatches as well? Do you see my colored crystal watches around?

Stephanie

<Doug Sinclair>
posted
Stephanie,

When these colored crystals were fashionable, inks, or dyes were available into which a colorless crystal could be dipped in order to change the color. The colors I remember were yellow, blue, green, and red, but there might have been others. Nowadays, mineral or glass crystals must be colored during production, I suspect.

Doug S.

posted
Doug,

Thanks for the information. Very interesting!
Crystals dipped in various colored ink! Do you know when that began? Have you seen any wristwatches or pocketwatches with colored crystals? Smile

Stephanie

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Also, beware of yellow plastic crystals on older pocketwatches and wristwatches. Some of the early plastics, originally clear, turn yellow with age. As the plastic deteriorates it gives off a corrosive gas that causes the hands to rust and can also affect the cannon pinion or other steel parts nearby. Any of these yellowed crystals should be replaced immediately.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Jerry,

Thanks much for your information. I do not have any yellow crystals on any of my watches, thankfully. I will keep your info in mind when searching out colored crystals.

Smile
Stephanie

<Doug Sinclair>
posted
Stephanie,

By the time I started to learn the craft in the late 1940s, we would only see the odd colored crystal in this area. It might have been a bigger rage elsewhere. I am going to suggest it was likely most fashionable during the 1930s and possibly early 1940s.

Doug S.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
I also think the various colors you mention were popular in the forties and fifties. The other problem Jerry mentioned is very real. Some early plastic crystals in the 1920s and 30s did a lot of serious damage. They turned yellow and even a sick green. The later plastics were no problem.

Most older RR grade pocket watches were required to have a glass crystal in order to be absolutely clear. Then at the time of WWII the US Government specified an unbreakable crystal for obvious reasons on their orders.

After the war plastic and lucite became the preferred crystal among many RR men, but most collectors today want a slightly beveled glass crystal. Many wristwatches use only plastic and I find some gold cased pocketwatches are better with plastic as the gold bezel will flex too easily and pop out the hard glass crystal.

Suggestion, practically any of the "glasses in an hour" outlets could easily tint a watch crystal for you in any of the various colors and hues they use for their lenses. You'll find the choices are virtually endless!

Hope some of this helps.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Doug,
Thanks for the info.

Lindell,
Thanks too for your info. on plastic crystals.
I do too like slightly beveled glass crystals. I think I have them on one or two of my pocketwatches. I'll need to check.

I was surprised to learn that many wristwatches use plastic. And yes, it does make sense to use plastic on pocketwatches since the gold bezel flexes too easily and pops out on hard glass crystal.

I'll tell you, I can't believe how much I'm learning inside of two days from IHC site.

Thank you fellas! Smile

Stephanie

posted
I don't recall seeing any colored crystals on pocket watches, by the 1950's pocket watches were going out of favor except for perhaps railroaders and older men.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted
You are absolutely right John, those various colored crystals we discussed were only on wristwatches.

I made reference to the evolution of plastic versus glass on pocket watches because in her initial question Stephanie asked about both wrist and pocket.

But I'd say again that anyone wanting to tint a crystal today could have it done at practically any eyeglass center.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi to all! Taking Tom Seymour up on his suggestion!

What better place than my original thread on colored crystals to attach picture!

Would love to see others if in your collection.

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

My Gothic, 7 jewels, blue crystal wristwatch

posted
Gothic, 7 jewels, blue crystal wristwatch

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very neat Stephanie. I had never seen a watch with a colored crystal. Thanks for the picture. I will be waiting to see what others add to the thread.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
On above wristwatch, under the maker's name - Gothic, is Jar-Proof.

Care to elaborate? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hello,

Within a bunch of parts I discovered a small number of assorted colored glass wristwatch crystals. These are square, rectangular, etc. I have not looked at them in a while, but I seem to recall blue, yellow, red & green. These crystals are genuine colored glass, not painted with ink. The crystals appear ruff and oversize as though it was intended that the watchmaker might select the closest size and grind it to fit the watch. After discovering these interesting items, I posted a question on another internet message board a couple of years ago. The answer I received was that these were not supplied with any particular watch, but could be fitted as an after-market replacement. One person stated that the crystals dated back to the 1930's & 40's. I was informed that it was a fad that did not last long.

I’m not at all sure they were ever made for pocket watches, but who knows? I have found a few green and yellow tinted glasses which might fit a pocket watch, but I assume they were more likely intended early round lens sunglasses. One may find such items within old assortments of crystals from time to time for the reason that many jewelers and watchmakers in the 1800's also sold eye-glasses as a sideline, and sunglasses date back to the pre-Civil War era.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Thanks Greg!

I remember that topic. Some were so very certain, others left the door open. Although it's doubtful any case or watch manufacturer ever used tinted glass the aftermarket in the form of local jewelers "clearly" and the pun is intended, did!

Frankly I've often wondered if any yellow-tinted crystals were ever used simply to reduce glare. After all these years there is so much we'll never know for sure. What is for sure...

We're learning something new every day!"

Lindell

Wink

posted
A colored crystal wristwatch in my collection! Smile

1968 Bulova, black dial
17j

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
quote:
Also, beware of yellow plastic crystals on older pocketwatches and wristwatches. Some of the early plastics, originally clear, turn yellow with age. As the plastic deteriorates it gives off a corrosive gas that causes the hands to rust and can also affect the cannon pinion or other steel parts nearby. Any of these yellowed crystals should be replaced immediately.

like this you mean?

Posts: 106 | Location: Widnes, United Kingdom | Registered: April 02, 2008
posted
Nice watch Stephen! Thanks for showing.

I would love to see more wristwatches with colored crystals from our member's collections!
Want to show them? Smile

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
I have an Illinois square-cut corner watch that dates to the 1920s with a dark green crystal. It does make it hard to read the time that way but originally the watch had luminous hands and numerals.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008