Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Lady Hamilton "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I am looking for a watch for my wife and saw at an antique show today (also open tomorrow) a Lady Hamilton. The case is 18k white gold with a small diamond at each end. The movement is a grade 757, 22j 21/0size. He said it was just cleaned. It was running and the regulator was half way between the s and f. The band was a new replacement cloth band. The movement is pictured on page 826 of Schugart's No.22.

The asking price was a bit higher than the $100 he would sell it for. I have no idea on the values of these watches. The ones in Shugart were all 17j. Does being a 22j make it any more valuable?

Any help before I go back tomorrow would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom, It sounds like a nice watch. Hamilton never built any junk and that one sounds nice. Womens watches are jewelery also so their beauty affects the value. Those cord bands are usually a cheep replacement but, Jenny wares a Lady Elgin daily on one and their fine.
As far as the condition goes just look it over real good. He says it was cleaned, how does it look under a loupe? The regulator in the middle is a good sign. If it has good ballance motion and looks good and clean and most of all SHE likes it, pick it up. 22J is better than the 17. Does this watch have a second hand? If so, is it on center?

Sounds like a beauty.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP

We rise highest when we stoop to help others.

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Aaron, I tried to remember all the details, but I can't picture the seconds hand. Is it better if it is centered rather than in a smaller dial by the six. I don't even know if it would fit there. Ladies watches are so small.. Anyway it is a detail I didn't mentally take note of.
Thea case is very attractive - clean looking - not scratched.

Thanks for the info.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom, Alot of the smaller womens watches had no second hand at all. I only asked because of it being 22 jewels. Sounds real nice.

Buy what you like. You cant go wrong with a nice solid Hamilton at that price.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP

We rise highest when we stoop to help others.

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Aaron, thanks for responding to my question. I think my wife will get a watch for her birthday.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Would it look good in this Tom?

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I KNOW it would look great in that box!! What would it take for that to happen?

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted
Hi Tom,

That 22-jewel Lady Hamilton is from the 1950s and I believe that is among the last real US Made watches of its kind. The way you describe it, that sounds like a really good buy to me! Collectors do not fully appreciate ladies watches. Even I collect mainly the mens watches.

This presentation box is an eBay purchase and here is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2609334996&category=29529

The dimensions in the auction description are pretty close, and the inside area where the watch goes measures 7.25" long by 1.35 wide. The interior is very dark blue even though it looks even darker in the picture.

These boxes routinely sell on eBay for 40 to 60 dollars. As you see this one was a very good buy at 24 plus 4.50 to ship it. If you'd like to have it I can ship it to you tomorrow morning. When it arrives send me a check for $28.50 plus the shipping amount shown on the package.

Let Me Know,

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine

Chapter 185 Administrative Secretary
Chapter 185 Membership Coordinator
NAWCC Member 157487
IHC Member 164
IHC Life Member (L4)

Smile

[This message was edited by Dr. Debbie on March 02, 2003 at 13:11.]

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Dr. Debbie, Thank you very much for the information and the offer to sell the box at your cost. I would be happy to take you up on that offer. I just got back from the show and have taken a couple of quick pictures of the watch.

The inside of the case back is marked Hamilton W. Co, Lancaster, and 14K gold. The number inside the case back is 67305.
There is some symbol with a bee(?) also inside the case back. The outside of the case back has the work "Hamilton" at one end and "14K GOLD-BIGGS" at the other.

The metal parts of the band are original. Only the cord part of the band is new.

The case will be a great finishing touch for it. Thank you again for your generosity!

I cut the picture to half size but it is still way bigger than it looked on the preview screen. I'm still getting used to some new software. Sorry for the big size.
Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

[This message was edited by Tom Seymour on March 02, 2003 at 17:47.]

Lady Hamilton

Administrative Assistant
posted
Tom,

From what I am aware of on these, you bought your wife one of finest watches Hamilton ever made. And they made some great ones!

You will want to buff that case carefully to remove the light scratches. A jewelry cloth would work nicely. One of the easiest places to get a nice one is the Jewelry Department at J. C. Penney Co. Happy I could be a part of what you are doing.

I'll get the box in the mail to you tomorrow.

Regards,

Dr. Debbie

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Dr. Debbie, Those are the words a buyer likes to hear!! Thanks again for all of the information and especially the great finishing touch!
I'll let you know when the box gets here. I'll mail the check as soon as I get the box and add the postage.

Thaks!!
Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Dr. Debbie,
The case arrived in great shape. Thank you again. It is a great place to keep the watch between wearings, and to display it.

The check for ($28.50 + $4.70) $33.20 will go out in tomorrows mail.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Administrative Assistant
posted
Your check came Saturday, thanks. Can you show us a picture of the watch in the box?

Let us know how she likes them!

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine

Chapter 185 Administrative Secretary
Chapter 185 Membership Coordinator
NAWCC Member 157487
IHC Member 164
IHC Life Member (L4)

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Dr. Debbie, Thanks for letting me know the check got there. I can tell you now .....She likes them!!!! I will post a picture soon.

Thanks!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Administrative Assistant
posted
Of course you could also show us the Lady with her Lady Hamilton!

Dr. Debbie

Eek

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The Lady Seymour is camera shy, so here is a picture of the watch and the case!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

ladyh with case

Picture of Michael Dias
posted
In regards to the 14K GOLD BIGGS on the back of case that Tom speaks about, what does the BIGGS stand for? (or B166S)

I too have two lady Hamiltons that have 14K GOLD BIGGS on the case back.

Posts: 72 | Location: Benicia, California USA | Registered: May 10, 2006
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Tom,
That's a real Honey!

Beautiful!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Michael, RW Biggs was the manufacturer of the case. The company was ultimately taken over by Hamilton.

Posts: 11 | Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: May 23, 2006
Picture of Michael Dias
posted
Thanks James.
I suspect these were gold filled, I have one that says, 14k GOLD-BIGGS and one 10K GOLD-BIGGS.
Would that be correct?

Posts: 72 | Location: Benicia, California USA | Registered: May 10, 2006
posted
I suspect that by the 1950's the US Govt regulations/laws would have required that any gold filled item be marked as such. I think the gf items were identified in some situations by a statement indicating the fraction of whatever karat gold was used in the item, such as 1/20 12K gold filled. I have a green gf Waltham with a metal band and the band is marked B&N 1/10 14K on sterling sil

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Michael, as far as I know all gold-filled cases used by Hamilton (and certainly those more recent than the late 20s) are identified.

Posts: 11 | Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: May 23, 2006