Posts: 97 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: April 28, 2007
posted
I keep meaning to, but I just can't find the time Frown

Posts: 106 | Location: Widnes, United Kingdom | Registered: April 02, 2008
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Steven Robinson,
Steven Ollman,
I just noticed that 1928/29/30 Bulova watch dial minute marker shape & sub-seconds bit shape emulate the shape of the case. Is this a hard fact? My "1930 Lone Eagle" having had it for a couple of years, I just this week attempted to authentic the watch. The case is a tonneau case. However, the dial minute marker is rectangular shape & sub-seconds bit shape does not emulate the shape of the case, it is also rectangular. The hands are very short in order to accomodate the rectangular minute marker. The movement is a AF13 15j tonneau shaped movement, that never in my research have seen in any Lone Eagle tonneau case. Please advise!
Confused

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
AF13 15j movement

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Sky King from MyBulova.com, notice the dial does not emulate the shape of the case. Also notice Stephen Robinson's pic of the Sky King with the points on the case sides, the points on the minute markers & sub-seconds bit.

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Stephen Robinson's cropped Sky King placed here for easy comparison. Notice case, dial minute marker & sub-seconds bit all have sharp coners. Should be a good discussion!

posted
Wayne, I'd have to say that what you have is a mix-match of Lone Eagles. The casing and movement are that of a 1928/29 Tonneau Lone Eagle and the dial and hands are that of a 1931 Stepped Lone Eagle

posted
I believe that both dials are correct. Again probally a variant in the dial design.

I've seen models change case shapes between versions but the dials sometimes overlap.

A great example of this is the Lone Eagle Series. Have a look at the http://www.mybulova.com/bulova-lone-eagle-story page and you'll see how the case changed over time and how the dials and hands also changes, but sort of overlapped case changes.

Stephen

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
I betcha the Bulova designers are up there busting a gut laughing at us trying to figger what they didn't document. Confused

posted
They most certainly are..... Smile

posted
Hi, the watch originally posted is called the "Apollo", and the ad can be seen here:

1931 Apollo

Posts: 77 | Location: Ilkeston in England | Registered: March 22, 2013