Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gruen Doctor's Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
What can anyone tell me about this Gruen Doctor's watch? Case is sterling silver with gold accents and is quite large... 47mm long.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Inside caseback.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Movement.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
WOW!!!

All I know is that this is beautiful. What a fantastic looking watch. I can't wait to learn more.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
posted
Bryan,
I've only owned two Gruen doctors watches but I've seen a fair number of them. I've never seen one that looked like this one though! I've haven't seen one with this movement or case. The Gruen signature on the movement, which matches the one in the case, is, again, something I've not seen. My conclusion is that either I need to
get out more or you have found a very unusual and possibly rare watch. Have you determined the caliber number?Odd that there aren't import letters on the b.c..
It is a very nice looking movement! The shape of the balance cock has been designed to follow the curves of both the center and fourth wheels.COOL
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
I will forward this thread to Charlie Cleves. He is a remarkable authority about Gruen Watches.

Why is he not a participant on this board? I'm going to work on this!

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Don,t know anything about it but it sure is nice.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Brian,

I believe this to be a European market Gruen from the period after Alpina split away and Gruen was marketing their own watches on the continent. Roughly 1935-1940. I think the watch that Mark Cross posted earlier is from the same period. I also think that this movement is an ebauche similar to that used by other makers during this same period. I'm looking around for a caliber reference, but I really don't expect to find anything in my Cincinnati based materials.

This might have originally had an Alpina-Gruen marked dial, as the dial appears to be a refinish, albeit a nice one. Some of these did have the co-branded dial, even though case and movement are marked only Gruen.

These are fairly rare, more so than either the 877 or 500dd doctor's watches. As to value, I'd place it somewhere between the two, probably closer to the high end 877s.

I'll post more info if I find it, and look forward to talking to you. I've got an Elgin question for you.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005