Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Let's see your Character Watches! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Sparky Ann Elizabeth Riddle
posted

Let's see your Character Watches!

I collect character watches and clocks, do you?

Here are two of my favorite Mickey Mouse Character Wristwatches...

Posts: 60 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
Wristwatch Expert

posted
A few months ago, I ran across a near-mint example of a 1970s mechanical "Incredible Hulk" watch. It was in a garage sale, and the guy only five bucks for it. I didn't even argue on the price. The movie version had come out, and all the merchandising (action figures, kid's cereal, etc.) was still "out there" on people's minds, so I thought this watch was hot stuff. I put it on eBay at a starting bid of 99 cents and I thought "let's watch this baby go to the moon!" It brought one bid at 99 cents! The Hulkster gets no respect.

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Ann great looking watches i may have 1 or 2 i will look for them in the morning and post up some pictures.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
These watches are favorites of mine. I've been wearing the 1935 Popeye with friends all day to "road test" a repair (with permission). Two minutes fast in twelve hours-Not Bad!

Your Mickeys look fantastic. The leather strap version is much scarcer today for two reasons. These were originally offered to dealers in a ratio of two metal bands to one leather. I suppose the metal band was expected to sell better. The leather band is more likely to fall apart after seventy years too.

I'd post pics if I could but I do look forward to seeing more pics here that others can post.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Ann here are the only 2 pieces I have ,they don,t even come close to being as nice as yours,,

neither one of these run but here they are...

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
this is a wind up travel alarm that someone has taken apart ,,hope to put a new mainspring in it and get it going..

Show us some more Ann i think folks would love seeing them

IHC Life Member
posted

Great watch Mr. Shawkey.

I would love to see that "Popeye" watch Mr. Moore! Thank you for explaining about the bands. I know I am lucky to have these watches in such nice condition. Mine look better that the ones in the Walt Disney Collection which was a big surprise to me.

Thank you Mr. Smith, I like your "Alice In Wonderland" watch. I don't have one of those yet and I have not seen anything like that travel alarm before. Good luck getting that one fixed.

Here are my earliest Mickey Mouse Character Pocket Watches...

Posts: 60 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
posted
Wow! Nice looking Mickeys. I usually see the short and long stem versions one at a time. It is interesting to compare these lovely examples side by side. I'm noticing that the numbers 7 and 5 shift with respect to Mickey's knees.

Thank you for posting the pics!
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Hi Sparky,

I see you have a Mickey fob to go with one of your Mickey pocket watches. I've never seen one of those before, very nice!!

Do you also have some of the later Mickey wristwatches?

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted

Thank you Mr. Moore,

The one on the right is the older and more difficult to find.

I think you are right Mr. Parsons, not many of us have the fob that came with the pocket watch.

Here is my 1939 New York World's Fair Mickey Wristwatch...

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
((WOW)) Ann that is a pretty watch very classy.. Smile

posted
Ms. Riddle,
You have a nice collection growing! I took a look today at the two Mickey pocket watches I have currently. Both are the short stem type and both have the same dial as your short stem one.
I looked in my reference books and found no picture with the same dial as your long stem
version with the 7 and 8 outside Mickey's knees.
One book I have, by a Mr. Brenner, shows both the long and short stem watch with the 7 and 8
below the knees. I have worked on at least a dozen Mickey pocket watches but I'd never noticed that there are two dial varieties before. Veeery interesting!
-Cort

Picture of Phil Stover
posted
This is my Winnie the Pooh watch. I searched for years for a mechanical Pooh watch. I belive this one, made for Sears is the only mechanical Pooh watch ever made. If anyone else has seen a different one, please let me know. It runs very accurately. I was thrilled to find it. I hope you enjoy it.

Posts: 101 | Location: Sarasota, Florida USA | Registered: November 27, 2003
posted
Here's one!

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
posted
This is truly a goofy Goofy watch - the time and numbers are reversed. It actually tells time in a counter-clockwise manner.

posted
This is a big Mickey quartz nothing special other than it measures about 48 mm lug to lug and 43 across.

posted
Sparky,

This watch is political satire from the 1970's. Note the American flags on the hands. Ask your Mom and Dad who the faces are on this watch.

posted
Last picture for a while.

All of these are mechanical movements. The watch with the ribbed bezel & fluted lugs is an Ingersoll 20 year anniversary or birthday watch. If I am not mistaken, it was WDP's first anniversary watch and is one in the series of 10 different Disney characters. Most if not all the (pre-quartz) character wristwatches are probably no more than one jewel mechanical movements - not really desirable for quality. Probably more collectible for sentimental reasons and that varies according to each individual. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to the character watches. I might also add that there are also novelty and advertising watches that are collectible.

If you are interested in building a character watch collection or if you find this area fascinating, there are 2 books that I can recommend in addition to the Cooksey Shugart guides. One is BOOK 3 "Vintage American & European Character Wrist Watch Price Guide by David A Mycko and The Ehrhardts". The other is Comic Character Timepieces by Brown & Thomas. The price guides are only a starting point. The values determined in the books verses what happens with respect to value in real life are two different things and often confusing.

Last, I started off researching & collecting character watches. It laid a good foundation for helping me to know what I was looking for, helped me identify junk and helped me determine a great buy. I honored my instinct not my impulse when it came to purchases. Hope this helps. Smile

Have fun!

Barbara

Wink

posted
Phil,
You mentioned in your post that you would like to know of other mechanical Pooh watches.There are a few. I've got a Bradley direct reading/
or, digital one in my repair box at the moment and there are at least two others I've worked on
which are pictured in the Erhardt wrist priceguide 3. Your Sears one is not in that book
but it is a Timex; not a common one!

Barbara, It is my understanding that the "Birthday" watches were made to celebrate the 20th Anniv. of Mickey who was invented...er,born in 1928. I have a 1928 S.F. toy company catalog that had an ad for a Mickey toy. I loaned it once and it came back sans that page Roll Eyes

Are there other appreciators of character here?
-Cort

posted
The eyes are animated on this dial.

posted
Here's another treat!

posted
Similar to the previous photo but with a 70's strap and in goldtone. That's all for now. Smile