• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 761 American Made 27 jewel automatic "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have an American made 27 jewel automatic wrist watch. I would like some history on this watch because it is the only one I have ever run across.Is it rare? It is very thin for an automatic and also adjusted for time.Naturally I would like to know if there is any value to it. I would then post it with some photos if I ever figure out how to do that.

THANKS Dave

fireside

Posts: 3 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: August 01, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

WELCOME ABOARD DAVID!

What you have is a very special Elgin from the 1950s and it actually represents one of the last American made Elgin watches. Here is a previous topic where we got into these, be sure to follow the links you see there for additional information...

CLICK FOR: Lord Elgin 30 Jewel 760 American Automatic

By all means post more images below in this topic!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Movement

fireside

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
David, As I understand you have a history of watch making so I will try to help with what I know and like the most about the Elgin 760-761, of which I have one of each that both are excellent timekeepers and are still in use by me these days nearly 60 years after they were "born".

The following pages are the Elgin service instructions for these watches.

In developing this while the other watchmakers were falling all over themselves trying to make an "electric" watch, Elgin set a lot of precedents with the "Durapower" model;
1. The one and only FREE SPRUNG watch movement.
2. The last true made in USA Railroad Grade mechanical (wrist)watch (B W Raymond).
3. The ONLY USA designed and produced True Self Winding watch!
4. A super winding "sprague" auto clutch mechanism that was the same as what made the Hydromatic famous.
5. One of the thinnest "automatics" on the market . . . ever!
6. With a litle "tweaking" I believe these would pass Chronometer grade.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
pgs 1 & 2 service

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
pgs 3 & 4 service

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
pgs 5 & 6 service

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
pgs 7 & 8 service

posted
To:
David Abbe

I really like your first name.
With all the information you sent (which I will print out and place with the watch) you made the watch worth keeping. I thought Elgin went a little over board in their final years trying to come out with something new all the time. Like if your watch does not go through your wedding ring it is obsolete.They also went over board changing regulators etc. I still always placed them next to Hamilton. Perhaps this was because I live about thirty miles from the Hamilton factory and went through it three times.
I really appreciate you interest.
THANKS
Dave

fireside

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I just now am getting around to catching up on my reading and came across this string....

David (Becker), thanks for starting this string, it is very interesting and near my heart....

Dave (Abbe), you never cease to amaze me with the integrity, depth, clarity and accuracy of your posts....Thank you sooooo much....

I have a number of Elgin wristwatches in my collection but no 27 jewel watches....I do have 3, 30 jewel 760 automatics and 3, Lord Elgin 25 jewel automatics....They are all very good timekeepers and I wear them all on occasion....

One of the 760's is black faced and the only one that I have seen that is....Not too sure about the rarity but it is unusal and I do love it....
I don't have any new photos of it but I do have a couple of them before I sent it to Cris....Cris put a new crystal did a COA, but here it is....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
The backside....

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008