• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need help to idenify Bulova, please "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello, I need help to idenify this Bulova I have purchased. The watch was dirty when I got it so I gave it a good cleaning. It is a Bulova and stamped on the movement in gold is: seventeen 17 Jewel, adjusted, swiss, 7AM, BXW, THe case is stamped inside with the number 1573981 and 10K gold rolled, stainless back. The dial is raised gold numbers and Bulova and swiss all raised and gold. It is working perfect, keeping excellent time. The watch came in a Bulova box stamped Bulova made in USA NEW YORK, Famous World Over. After I cleaned the case, around the top of the case, is green something or other, set in a gold design around it. I don't know what they are other than they don't appear painted. I took a picture thru a magnifying glass, which is in the next post. I would appreciate any information, especially age and anything else about this watch. Thank You,
Stevan

Posts: 65 | Location: Mississippi in the USA | Registered: March 16, 2008
posted
Here is the Bulova:

posted
movement but not a good pic:

posted
I did discover that instead of adjusted their is an "un" to the left of a screw that would make it say unadjusted. Also stamped on the movement is an asterick after the word swiss and in the book I read where Bulova stamped symbols for the year made and an asterick * was indicated for 1924 and 1941. Don't know what that means. My wife thinks the green around the dial is patina, but I don't know, it may be.
Stevan

posted
Yes the green is patina....
Stevan

Watchmaker
Picture of Gene Furry
posted
Hi Stevan,

Determining exactly when a Bulova was made can sometimes be a chore. Take a look at the inside and outside of the case back, and see if you find two characters stamped into the metal. If it's there, it will be "letter" followed by a "number", (only two characters). This is a date code, if you find it.

I suspect your watch is from somewhere around the 1950's, but it could be older. Obviously, it's a 17 jewel, "non"-shock resistant movement. The "7AM" is the caliber or model of the movement. The "unadjusted" just simply means it was not adjusted to correct any positional errors, so it's not necessarily an extremely accurate time keeper. This doesn't mean, however, that it can't keep decent time, because it certainly could have come out of the factory not even "needing" any adjusting.

Gene

Posts: 54 | Location: Southeastern Texas in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
Thanks Gene...I appreciate your help. I searched the case over and over. The only other markings there below the case manufacturer stamp are what looks to be real fine engraving by a watchsmith:
Wxx227 B77318 B-11-49-12. Then up at the top next to the edge where the stem fits is:
K 3281
5 The 5 is positioned like I show it.
That's all I can find. The watch is still running strong and it does keep extremely accurate time.
Thanks, Stevan