Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

'Singer' German Military Timepiece "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
I recently purchased this 'Singer' wristwatch from an ebayer in Israel.
It seems to have an amazing 'History'
"WATCH IN EXCELLENT WORKING CONDITION. DIAMETER 36mm, LONG45mm Belonged to captured German pilot from Army of Marshall F.Paulus under Staligrad (1943) Taken by Russian officer and later on sold to Russian watchmaker. The watchmaker keep this watch for almost 60 years in his closet until present time! The son of this watchmaker lives in Israel these days and the watch is now for sale!"
Do you not think that is quite amazing!
I shall post final pictures when timepiece is cleaned and serviced.

Any further information known? Singer?

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Singer

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
posted
I have to wonder if there's any association with the famous Singer Sewing Machine Company. There are four of the treadle-powered models sitting in my basement now.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Roy,
Can you post a picture of the movement.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
When were watch dials first marked "Swiss Made" ?

Dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Rich.
Apologizes for delay!

Movement:

Singer 1

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Closer:

Singer 2

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Picture of back:

Singer 4

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Closer:

Will require a light cleaning to try and erase 'incompetent scratch marks!'

Roy.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Ooops!

Singer 3

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Concerning when dials were first marked "Swiss Made", I'd say certainly by the 1920s. I have a Ferrero tank (sorry, Cartier) from the early '20s, which is marked thusly. I believe the style of the refinished dial is original, so I have no doubt that it was marked so originally.

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
posted
Did all countries require the 'Swiss made' mark on the dial or was it a Swiss requirement?
why is the phrase in English, especially if the watch was sold in a non-English speaking country?

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Just updating thread.

Anyone have any information on the 'Singer' manufactorer?

Where to look?

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"