Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this doable? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1063
posted
Is it possible to make a vintage Bulova Oceanographer waterproof again? Are the needed gaskets available anywhere?

Thanks,
Dana

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
YES YES YES. You should be able to order the gaskets you need from any major supply house. Jules Borel, Casker. and list goes on. You will need to have the size. Which means you will have to buy a Digital Mic. $24.00. Its would be a good time also to buy a new crystal for the watch.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Dana,

A lot will depend on the condition of the watch to start with, but if its seals and testing it should be.
And has it shown signs of water damage or moisture ingress to address first, I am asking how do you know it’s not water resistant in its current state Smile.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1063
posted
I suspect that it is still water 'resistant' but have never really put it to the test. I just assumed that 40 year old gaskets might be questionable.

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Good point Chris. There are 3 main points of entrance for moisture. The crystal , crown, case back gasket. Unless it is a chronograph. then you would have 2 more pusher that needs gasket replacement. Cost always plays the most. In repairability. In other word is the case in such bad condition that there is wear through.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Eugene,
If I am right it’s a time only with date similar to the Seiko diver watch style of the era, as you say 3 main areas of concern. A removal of the movement and a test should show any immediate problems, from there it may only need new tube and case back seal, not seeing the watch it could have suffered erosion and the case been eaten away are critical points or been damage while been chiseled open in a previous repair and seal points damaged (I had photos of such Eek) you can never really know until in hand. This would also be a perfect time to have the movement check and case/band refinished.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
I agree with everything you say. Chris.