• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Info needed. Old Vuclain Cricket, 14k "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm new to this forum, thank you for having me.

Some background:
While during my freshman year in the late 60's, I found this wrist watch while walking across campus. I attempted to locate it's owner. However, it was a large campus, and there were often visiting lecturers, and unfortunately I didn't succeed.
Truthfully, I completely forgot about the watch until I recently found it in a drawer in my guest house some 40 years later.
It's a Vulcain Cricket. The first wrist watch featuring a working alarm feature. It's 14k. It runs beautifully, and the alarm still functions perfectly and right on time. I suppose that shouldn't surprise me since it sat unused, resting for over 40 years.
I'd like to get some background on the watch. I took it to a very good jeweler recently, and he opened the back and it looked pristine. Running silently and smoothly. But he was unable to narrow down it's age despite of all his reference material.
I contacted Vulcain Watches in Switzerland, and frankly, they were somewhat nonplussed. All they could tell me was it looked to be between 1947-late 1950's.
I was wondering is any forum members could narrow it down more than that, or have any additinal data on the watch? I have several, old wrist watches that I wear, and I intend to keep this one as it's so refined.
I've attached photos for your review.

Thank you,

Posts: 1 | Location: Auburn, Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: March 11, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
Really nice!! Regards Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
You found my watch as I was strolling along at campus. When I was 10. I lost it when I was giving a lecture on honesty in the world.
GREAT WATCH I had to say it before the rest of the jokers beat me to it..

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Bob,

Your beautiful Vulcain Cricket is one of the very interesting alarm wrist watches. Here is a link to discussions of Vulcain watches in our postings...

"Find-Or-Search" for "Vulcain" on IHC185 Discussion Site

Please accept our invitation to Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185™ with a modest $12.00 Annual Dues, in fact our IHC185 Dues and "Complete Guide to Watches" deal at only $37.95 cannot be beat. And I checked, the Vulcain watches are shown on pages 1128 and 1129 in the watch guide. If yours is indeed a 14K Solid-Gold Case then 550, 850 and 1,000 are the current values.

Truly a "great find" in more ways than one!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002