• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

First Rolex Submariner "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I know there are folks that Love these early models... The Rolex folks in Beverly Hills told me they think this was a prototype for their waterproof lines... Who knows but it is verrrry Cooool...........

Posts: 98 | Location: Oviedo, Florida USA | Registered: June 13, 2005
posted
The greenish hue is because i couldn't bring myself to change the crystals

posted

First Rolex Submariner front

posted

First Rolex Submariner dial

posted

posted

First Rolex Submariner mov

posted

posted
It's all Original.. I picked it up years ago.. The writer Mr. Dowling saw it at a show a few years ago and he was pretty interested in it.

Unicorn was a copyrighted name of Rolex and I believe Submarine was as well.

posted
Jeff,
An old collector told me once that "We never own these. They are only entrusted to us for a time" If you are really interested give me a call..
Take Care
John
407-587-5555

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Rolex subcontract watches that were popular during the late 30's through the 40's I've seen them referred to as Canadian contract models too. I have my Dad's old Lipton wrist watch he wore all through WW2, and up until he gave it to me in 1985, that's marked Rolex under the dial, and was recently cleaned by our good friend Rich Kuhn. He confirmed it's a real Rolex, but I can find little information on these particular models.
I hope I'm not derailing the discussion, but it seemed a good opportunity to mention this.
Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Hello? (we now hear crickets chirping in the background.) Frown WinkRegards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark,
I'm sorry for not answering... There are a few guys that are very knowledgable about these models...

Bruce Walsh at Antiques in Time... Boy I wish he was a member here... He knows a lot about the early models... http://www.antiquesintime.ca/

Ken Jacobs at Wanna Buy A Watch also has a soft spot in his heart for early Watches and is also Extremely knowledgable about the early Canadian Versions... He has corrected me on many descriptions I have had over the years... Wish he was here as well...
http://www.wannabuyawatch.com/watch/vintage.htm

These two guys have forgotten more than I will ever know... Your Lipton model is one of my favorites... That one and the Skyrocket are very cooool... Sorry if it seemed like a snub... I sure didn't mean that and I hope this information helps....
Take Care
John

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you very much for your reply, John. I'll check those links.

No, I never thought it a snub at all. I'm still feeling the waters as to what folks in the 'business' consider real questions, or something to just pass over as being to simple to waste their time answering. I never post a question unless it's something I'm wanting to know the answer to, and you have supplied me with exactly what I needed.

Many thanks.

High regards! Mark