Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hopalong Casssidy Orig Box "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I got this Hopalong Cassidy watch at an auction the other day. I have not seen one with the original box.

The box is a thin cardboard, and the saddle inside is also is a thin cardboard. I can see why not many survived.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
pic2

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
pic3

Tom

posted
Neat watch Tom, looks to be in great shape.
I have to ask was Hopalong a radio character or movie character.I have heard of him, but he was before my time.

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Hoppy was both a radio, TV and film charater. His real name was William Boyd, who made a lot of $$$$ in his Hoppy role.

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
posted
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13853&item=6529280200&rd=1
Hey Tommy:
Check this out.I thought it might make a nice match to your Hopalong Cassidy Watch.
I thought you might get a kick out of it.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
The Western Channel which is available on the satellite television service Directv often runs black & white movies starring Boyd as Hopalong Cassidy as well as some with Roy Rogers and Gene Autry.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Congratulations on a great find Tom!

William Lawrence Boyd who died in 1972 and the character he brought to life in the movies, radio and television is still very popular today. The Hopalong Cassidy Books written by Clarence E. Mulford are still in print. A search of "Hopalong Cassidy" brings a huge amount of material which includes modern day collectibles.

William Boyd was one of the first stars to actually acquire the rights to the character he played. That move was an act of sheer genius and for the balance of his days Bill Boyd would be "Hoppy" to his millions of fans.

We remember him with deep affection.

Theater poster for "Bar 20 Rides Again" a 1935 Paramount release...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks for all the additional info guys.

Bob,
I looked at that horse clock match for the watch and am wondering why the picture and name are only hidden inside the back cover where no one will see it. As mentioned above, Hoppy had a good sense for marketing. I would think if all were right, it would have the name and face on the dial and elsewhere.

What do you and others think?

Tom

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Tom,

My impression of the auction item is that someone was being creative with those "hidden" additions. To me the giveaway is the "WH BOYD" because as I pointed out above Hoppy's name was William Lawrence Boyd.

Also, Hoppy's horse was "Topper" but the name does not appear on the auction example. Hopalong Cassidy marketing was as most marketing was then and still is today, very straight forward and in your face.

Your set is a perfect example, it was for PROMOTION of the name and image, not secret identities.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom, My first watch was a "Hoppy" watch that I was given as a birthday present in either 1952 or 53. If I remember correctly, mine was in a plastic box with the watch wrapped around a regular wristwatch bracket in the box. No saddle in mine. Due to the packaging in yours, I'm guessing that yours is much earlier that mine was.

And, No, I don't have the watch. It stopped after a couple of years, and I don't remember what happened to it.

Tom

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Aaron Faber and Stuart Unger's exceptional book: American Wrist Watches: Five Decades of Style and Design has an excellent chapter on "character watches".

Although I am not a collector of this type of watch, I have briefly owned several original Mickey Mouse watches, and several other amusing character watches.

This is a great watch, and a topic that we shoud discuss more often on this thread. Let's all be on the look out for Character watches, call attention to the auctions, and talk more about these artifacts of American cultural history.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
posted
Nice find Tom. And Hoppy was NOT before my time.
I remember going down to the boys club where he was making an appearance. I'm 58, and remember my Dad lifting me up on his shoulders so I could see. Awhile ago.

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...great find Tom!...I have a 'Hoppy' but not with the fine additions of box and saddle that you have...I loved 'Hoppy's' very ornate gun belt and had one as a kid but that too has gone the way of Tom H's watch...it's not often that I see kids today with toy guns strapped to their waists and for that matter candy cigarettes hanging from their lips...a good thing on both counts I guess...very nice indeed...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Tom,
Thanks for posting your really nice watch. Do you know the approx. year it was made?

This really brings back some memories for those of us they grew up back in the 50's. The Saturday afternoon double feature for 13 cents, Hoppy, Roy, Gene, Wild Bill, Rex, and all the rest.

I think the character watches are really neat, especially when you locate one in the original box. Good find and thanks for sharing it with us.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Growing up in the hometown of Leonard Sly (Roy Rogers, to those who don't know him by his real name(grins)), these watches have always facinated me. I'll own a RR watch someday, and can only hope to find one in as good a shape as this Hoppy watch! It's on my 'to do' list when the funds are available. Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks all for the comments. It am very happy with this find.

Mark, I was doing a science workshop near Dallas about 12 years ago. The hotel I stayed at was also the choice of Roy and Dale and their family for a large get together. I rode up in the elevator with Roy and Dale. I was a real kick to see them in person.

Tom

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
They were really nice, honest to gosh, down to earth people. Unfortunately, Roy didn't have the business savy of Gene Autry or Hoppy (by his own admission), and didn't purchase the rights to his movies. Because of that, he had to work hard his entire life in personal appearances, television and the like to keep thing going until quite late in life. I was sad to see that in his biography, as that was a missed opportunity of huge dimensions on his part, and he paid dearly the rest of his life for the the oversight. Portsmouth, Ohio still has Roy Rogers days (or did up to a few years ago), and Roy loved to come to them, bringing friends with him, such as Lash Larue, The Virginian, Gene Simmons, Robert Fuller (just to name a few), and they came just because Roy asked them to. Great man, and is still missed by this writer. Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Just in case you are wondering, the box and extra's are worth for more than what the watch is worth by itself.

Posts: 425 | Location: Washington State, Northwest USA | Registered: May 13, 2003