Internet Horology Club 185
Howard Wrist Watch?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/223108536

October 16, 2004, 12:44
Jerry Freedman
Howard Wrist Watch?
An outfit called Inovative Home Products is running a magzine ad on a wristwatch with E. Howard & Co.,Since 1842 on the dial. It is a German radio controlled movement. The watch is analog, with a digital date display. The silver? model is $129, and the gold? $179, plus S&H. They will throw in a free 12 inch radio contolled analog clock with your order! I could not find this product on their web site. The toll free number is 888-229-7369. I am not affiliated in any way with this outfit. I just thought the use of the Howard name was interesting.
October 16, 2004, 13:56
Dave Freeman
Sounds like a "Made in China" product if ever I heard one.

Personally I'd steer clear of it, that is, unless you want a clock. Roll Eyes

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321
October 16, 2004, 14:13
Jerry Freedman
The ad claims it is a German movement!
October 16, 2004, 16:24
Dave Freeman
I've recently seen a lot of "German movements" some of which I'm pretty sure are made in China. They may well have been designed in Germany then "outsourced" with final assembly/casing being in Germany.

The USA is not the only country which outsources these days. Eek

I should add however, while a lot of the watches may be very functional and apparently good value for money they certainly won't be collectors items.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321
October 17, 2004, 21:05
Tom Huber
I saw the ad in the "VFW Magazine". The ad itself is rather comical. It talks about Howard watches being the standard for time on theB&O and the Erie Lackawana RR's. Since the Erie Lackawanna came into existance in 1960 with the jointure of the Erie and the DL&W, it would be highly unlikely. The watch looks like a piece of Junk for the price.

Tom
October 18, 2004, 07:55
Jeffrey P. Hess
Two things:

1) To be "German made" means simply that 51% of the VALUE of the watch has to be done in Germany. I have the Phobos line in my store that are 35 jewel automatics with either moonphase, or full calendar or chronograph with exhibition backs and screw down buttons. They say German made or Germany on the dials and the movements. Retail under 300. And Guess what? Chinese automatic movements and Chinese cases.

The Germans fulfill the 51% value law by having the dials done in Germany and doing the casing work and adjusting of the movements in Germany. Thats it.

2) I am very angry if someon was able to get the Howard name and use it for cr*ppy watches. I tried for years to get it and was told by my attorney that Hamilton owned it for watches and that some company in Wisconsin owned it for clocks. Guess that was wrong info. I wonder if this company is using the name legally??

JPH
October 18, 2004, 08:52
Scott Cerullo
The same ad appears in this month's Esquire. They have a web site:
www.InnovativeHomeProducts.com
The watch looks a lot like the Junghans that LaRose sells.

www.pawatchmaker.com