Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Digitals from the past "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Wanted to share this one with you. Digital has come a long way in today's market.

What is somewhat unusual on this one is the two toned pink/lilac color, an hour/minute indicator with a sweep second hand.

Eastman Digital
Swiss Made
60's

Take a look.

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Another view

posted
Back

posted
Any jump hour collectors out there? Feel free to add yours to my thread! Comments welcomed as well!

Stephanie O'Neil

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Stephanie,

Very interesting watch, the shape of that crystal almost looks like a 1960s color television screen, not that I remember the sixties Big Grin of course! Roll Eyes Your choice of backgrounds brought out the tones of the watch, good job. Smile No, I don't have any jump hour watches but I sure like looking at them.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
posted
Hi Stephanie. That's a nice one. I love it! Very unusual with the second hand this way. I would like to have a one or two of these, especially with rolling seconds. These I remember from my childhood in the 70's. Thank for sharing. You always seem to have fun watches to show us.

Duke

Posts: 7 | Location: Montreal, Quebec in Canada | Registered: March 07, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Now I know I am getting old, don't remember the 60's, child in the 70's. When I was a kid we used a stick & the sun to tell time, at least as long as the dinosaurs didn't get in the way.

I like the watch too!

Tom (Flintstone)

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thanks Donald. You are right, the shape of dial does resemble a TV; an idea for a new watch thread! LOL

Hi Duke,
Thanks. I love the usual in watches and this is one of them. And, I do enjoy adding "fun" watches to my collection as well. Thanks again.

Hi Tom B.
Smile Thanks!

Glad yall enjoyed seeing my watch!

Stephanie O'Neil

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Stephanie,

Great topic about an interesting subject.

Since you asked about "Jump-Hour" watches, the first one shown below is a Swiss-Made marked "Candino" with a 17-Jewel manual-wind movement and exhibition back. The case is 316-L Stainless with an 18K bezel and crown.

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

This Alpina "Chonos" is a true "Jump-Hour" as the hours actually "click" into place and do not move until the top of the next succeeding hour "jumps" into view. I especially like the "exploding numbers" and dial treatment. This one is also 17-Jewel and Swiss-Made with sapphire crystals on both front and back. It is a big, bold watch that really stands out.

I have always been drawn to wristwatches with unusual design themes.

Lindell Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
here's my little collection of 30's (?) Digital watches:-

with the modern Alpha on the right.

The one with the battered, possibly orginal strap works, but the other two get stuck at the hour, ie the minutes turn, get to 59 minutes and stop moving... the one with the strap did work, until I fixed it, I fixed it good! Frown

I really do like the design of these things, but I can understand why they never caught on!

Posts: 106 | Location: Widnes, United Kingdom | Registered: April 02, 2008
posted
Very nice "jump hours" Lindell. Thanks for showing.

Hi Stephen,
Love your vintage "digital" ww collection, including your modern one! Really cool! Wondering what the mechanism looks like. Roll Eyes I wouldn't dare open the back of mine. Eek My Eastman is keeping very good time as well as length of time.

Okay, others? Share your old digital jump hour wristwatch/wristwatches with us please.

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Very Nice jump hour examples!
Got rid of all mine last year unfortunately, otherwise could have added a few.

Stephanie, the mechanism is pretty much the same as any other mechanical watch - right down to the motionwork (Generally).
The difference is, where an analogue watch has hands and a dial, these have printed discs for the minutes and the hours.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Stephanie,
I really like your watch, it's great.

I came from the days of the fancy, skinny watches, usually in white gold, with a microscopic diamond at each end, so I'm not used many other styles. Only because, not long after graduation, I ended up with 4 children, and no time, or money for watches back then.

It's so nice to see all the ones I missed!

Cool watches guys!

Keep em coming!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Thanks John. You are so knowledgeable. Thanks for the added info on jump hour mechanisms too.
Would have loved seeing the jump hours you had in your collection. Did you take pics of them?

Hey Sheila,
Thanks

Okay, let's keep jump hour thread "jumpin". Big Grin I'd love to see more from our member's collection.

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Here's a pic of the insides of the 30s jump hour/Digital watch:-

Posts: 106 | Location: Widnes, United Kingdom | Registered: April 02, 2008
posted
Stephanie, I took loads of photo's of the jump hours that I had, but I think they all got deleted after I dumped them on eBay.

I've had a good root through my photo albums with no luck, but may still have them on back-up CD's They're not on this pc or the hard drive of my old one unfortunately.

From memory, they were 'Lanco' 'Ingersol' and 'Basis' pin pallet jobs. They worked in a fashion, but I was wrecking more wristies by then than fixing anyway, so quit while they were at least limping along.

They have quite a following on eBay UK here, and fetch quite a lot even for total wrecks as the dial disc parts and motionwork are hard to come by - the movements can be had quite easily still.

I vaguely remember all mine going to a buyer in Ireland.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi Stephen,
Wow, that is just great seeing both front and back of the insides of a jump hour. Thanks so much!

Hi John,
Thanks anyway for trying. I appreciate that.

Others with Jump Hours in their collection they may want to add to this thread?

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
great Looking watches i don't have any but wich i did

Posts: 17 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2010
Picture of Michael O'Brien
posted
I have a case if someone is looking for one.

Posts: 155 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 13, 2009
posted

Posts: 88 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008