Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Opinion on Seiko Kinetic? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I've started looking at replacing my everyday WW. looked at the Seiko, Kinetic, Auto Relay as a possibility. I really like the perpetual calendar feature I have now, and it's available on the Kinetic. Any goods?, bads? uglies?

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
seiko is one solid watch if you like the look get it, kinetic is a plus I myself like automatics or hand wind but thats me.
after the San Diego show perhaps you can get the Grand Seiko
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grand-...&hash=item232ede4255

bet you did not know they cost so little.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1016
posted
Too rich for my blood. I did look at them though.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Orient makes some nice automatics, and a perpetual calendar model I believe, they're owned by Seiko.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
my nephrologist in London got so tired of the constant cost of service keeping his Seiko Auto-Kinetic Relay going that his wife bought him a Rolex Submariner Eek Roll Eyes --- which about gagged me since I gave up my Rolex Submariner when I came down with cancer a few years back. They didn't think I'd survive so I sold my little beauty LOL, I did survive, but now am without my well loved Sub LOL Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Mike,
I get a good few of these in for service, and a waste of money, your better off with a normal quartz that are getting 1-5+ years out of a cell that costs 50c-$1 the kinetics fail and cell costs many times that of a normal cell plus re programing. worst still are the "eco-drive" cells are well over 10x -20x cost of a normal cell.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1016
posted
That's interesting Tom. My experience with my Quartz Seiko is trouble free. I wonder if the Auto Relay, or the Kinetic part of his is troublesome.

And thanks to you too Chris. I'll stay away from these if they are in need of frequent service.

Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
I have a Pulsar (made by Seiko) and a Seiko Kinetic wrist watch and wear one or the other daily for the last 2 years with no problems...they have kept good time and I have had not problems.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Thanks for the information! Smile
I was about to purchase a Citizen Eco Drive. You save me some headaches. Big Grin

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
not so fast I did have eco drive for few years no issue .
Because Toyota have recall are all toyotas bad?

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
You’re missing the point, they run fine in fact very well until the capacitor fails at which point they cost you considerably more to replace than if you had got a normal quartz watch which will now give several years service on a simple cell. I get countless people saying they bought this type as they thought it never need a cell/capacitor and most upset when they get a large bill for repair.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003