• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tiffany and co or Movado? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A family member gave me a watch and im not sure what exactly i have,The watch says on the dial,Tiffany and co,at the top of the dial and at the bottom says automatic.

when i opened the case the movement says movado factories 17 j swiss made unadjusted.numbers i could find on the movement are,c.221 and also3166.
the movement is also an automatic.

the case says movado u.s.a. with numbers 467and also 223295.On the rim of the case its marked 14k gold d&a.thanks for any information.

Posts: 5 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 17, 2007
posted
Patrick,

It is possible, or even likely, that your watch is correct. Movado was one of several makers who produced watches for Tiffany & Co. over the years. I have had a Movado triple-date with an authentic Tiffany signed dial, which would have been from the same era as your watch. Since your watch has a solid gold case, it is at least an appropriate watch for a possible Tiffany. Photos of the dial would help to clarify the issue.

Earlier models often show a Tiffany signature on the case, but many genuine Tiffany watches do not. By the time of this watch (likely 1940s or 50s) I would be surprised to see a signed case.

The reason for my caution is that Tiffany watches are one of the easiest and most frequently counterfeited watches. A simple eBay search for vintage Tiffany watches will show you what I mean. You will see a wide variety of watches with Tiffany dials, some genuine, others not, some obviously so, and others harder to detect. An otherwise nice watch can see a substantial boost in auction value from a refinished dial with "Tiffany" added, so less scrupulous dealers have been upgrading watches with this signature for the last 20 or 25 years.

Regards,

Cary Hurt

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
Cary,
i want to thank you for your reply.
i can tell you that the watch was bought in the forties or early fifties by a uncle,so it is all original.does the numbers help at all? thanks again.

posted
Patrick,

The 221 on the movement is the caliber number, and is correct for a late 1940s vintage watch. The other numbers are likely serial numbers, for which I unfortunately do not have any references.

The case numbers are also likely a model and serial number, which are also unfortunately without meaning to me. D&A was a better quality casemaker based in New York (I believe). It's not unusual to see Swiss watches in American made solid gold cases during the post-war period, as American manufacturers pushed for high tariffs to protect their markets during this time. This also further serves to date your watch to the late '40s. I have had watches from Movado, Omega, Longines and LeCoultre in USA made solid gold cases, all from this same era.

I'm reasonably confident that your watch is a correct example, and since you have family provenance, that's one more point in it's favor.

It's a nice piece. I've always liked Movado, and feel that they are underrated by many collectors. Parts can be hard to find, but they are good timekeepers and not too much trouble.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
Cary,
thanks so much for the information on this watch,that answers my questions,thanks again,Patrick...