Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need help with this Elgin watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All,
I just bought this Elgin watch and I restored it. I really like the second hand at the 9 o'clock position. It is very similar to the Illinois watches from the mid 20's. What I don't know is what year do you think this watch was made? I can't find it in the Complete Price Guide to Watches book. Any help would be appreciated. I will post the front photo and then the back in the next posting. Thanks, Mark

Posts: 20 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: July 02, 2009
posted
Back Image.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Is the serial number on the movement 13035983?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Yes that is correct.

posted
I've just never seen an Elgin with a second hand on the 9 o'clock position so I thought it was unusual.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roddy J. Brunton
posted
Cool watch, what size is it?

Roddy JB

Posts: 1384 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
posted
It looks like it's a 3-0 size, which started production in 1915. I was hoping for more information from the group on what they might know about the watch since I've never seen anything from Elgin like this before and I don't see it in the Watches book.

Thank you if anyone knows any more about this watch.

-Mark

posted
One thing that is funny, it looks like a Model 3 with the serial numbers starting at 18,179,001 in 1915. But this serial number starts at 13,035,983.

Any thoughts?

-Mark

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
For what it's worth, I've been more and more interested in wrist watches lately and my research suggests that Elgin did in fact produce several watches with 9:00 sub-second dials.

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
According to Wayne's Elgin site:

Search Results For "13035983"
Serial Number SN Range RunQty Name Year grade size code jewels Adj/reg/etc.
-------------- -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
13035983 13035001 2000 1906 324 0s o3n3p 7j

grade total runs first yr last yr class size code jewels Adj/name
----- ----- ----- -------- ------- ----- ---- ------ ------ ----------
324 205000 125 1903 1916 117 0s o3n3p 7j

Appears to me like a ladies pendant 'O' size movement was converted to be a wrist watch.

Like Chris said, Elgin was known to make odd configurations when the need arose.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Thanks Guys! I really appreciate the help.

posted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elgin Databases
Main Page
Serial Number Lookup
SN Lookup Example
Search Ebay Logs
Elgin Names
Private Label Names
Watch Codes
Mainspring Information
Adjustment Numbers
Grade Numbers
Raw SN Year Info
Elgin Database Verification
PW_elgin Program

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elgin
Main Page
Watch Help
Documents & Pictures
Elgin Databases
History
Technical
Links
Old News
Credits

Wayne's Projects
Main Page
SPF email anti-forgery
Elgin Watch Company
NTP scripts
XStar
Bidwatcher
Search Results For "13035983"
Serial Number SN Range RunQty Name Year grade size code jewels Adj/reg/etc.
-------------- -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
13035983 13035001 2000 1906 324 0s o3n3p 7j

grade total runs first yr last yr class size code jewels Adj/name
----- ----- ----- -------- ------- ----- ---- ------ ------ ----------
324 205000 125 1903 1916 117 0s o3n3p 7j

Class 117: OF 3/4 pend
319 10500 made 0s model 3 15j
324 205000 made 0s model 3 7j
355 47000 made 0s model 3 15j
409 21000 made 0s model 3 7j gilded
410 7000 made 0s model 3 15j ? gilded
414 13000 made 3/0s model 3 7j
416 2000 made 3/0s model 3 15j
418 129000 made 3/0s model 5 7j
420 19000 made 3/0s model 5 15j

Search eBay logs for grade 324 watches.
Search eBay logs for 13035983.

Serial Number off the movement:

Important!

The serial number must be off the movement of the watch (where the gears are), not off the case. These two serial numbers are unrelated. For more information see the Watch Serial Number web page.

You must give the letter prefix of the serial number, if there is one.

If you don't have an exact Serial Number, you can use many other Search Options. There is a lot of flexibility here.

There is an example with explanations that goes over every part of the search results. The Watch Codes are similar ones are used by many experienced watch collectors. Also the names that are marked on the movement have been abbreviated.

If you have a quartz watch, one that uses a battery, one with a logo, instead of the name "Elgin" on the dial, or anything made after around 1965, then you are pretty much out of luck. I have zero information about these newer watches. For a longer explanation, see my Newer Elgins webpage.

If you have a wrist watch, and the only number on the movement is a three digit number in the range of 500-999, then there is no serial number. You may be able to get some limited information by entering the query "g=<number>" (where <number> is replaced with the 3 digit number)

This database is the most complete and accurate records of Elgin watches that I know of. That said, I know of errors in it, and I know that it isn't complete. If there are any discrepancies, verify the serial number. If the serial number is correct please let me know about the problem by emailing me.

How to Open a Watch Case

While opening a watch isn't rocket science, a watch can be damaged if you try to open it incorrectly. Never use a screwdriver to try to open a case. I find using my finger nail to be quite effective and it is soft enough to not scratch a watch case.

If you really aren't sure what to do, take it to one of your local jewelers and ask them to show you how to open it. While it is open, make sure you record everything written on the movement of the watch and the watch case. These details can sometimes be important.

Kent Singer has written up a good explanation of how to open a watch case.

Chris Ozdoba has also written up a good explanation of how to open a watch case. Chris' explanation isn't as detailed as Kent's, but it includes pictures which can be very helpful.

Elgin Watch News
If you visit this website frequently, you may be interested in some of the things that have changed recently.
Changing ISPs 30 Mar 2005
Sometime in the next week or so, I will be moving my website from one ISP to another. In theory, this should all be transparent to everyone and there should be zero downtime. If things don't go well, you might have problems connecting for a while, but rest assured that I'll try and fix any problems ASAP.

Hardware problems 29 Mar 2005
The power supply on my webserver went out last night. I bought a new one, it is installed, and things appear to be working ok now. Sorry about the 12hr outage.

Older news can be found in the archive.

Posts: 132 | Location: Warren, Oregon in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008