Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Should I have kept bidding? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I found this, and thought it looked so neat, but I have never heard of a Hyde Park Watch before, so I let it go. Should I have left it alone, or bid until I got it? Went for under $30.00.

Sheila

Hyde Park100

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
2 Price tag says $59.50

"The Watch that Times America's Test Pilots"

Sheila

Hyde Park200

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Sheila, In my opinion, you did the right thing on letting it go. Granted, it is a very nice box, but without the matching watch to go in it, it is not a wise expenditure. Your chances of finding a matching brand watch would be nil. To have the nice matching box is one way to enhance the value of the watch. Now, if the box said Hamilton, Waltham, Elgin, Gruen, etc, it would have been well worth the $30.

Just my opinion.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Tom H. makes some good points, however, I was startled when I saw your post. I just purchased an identical box (minus original price tag) at an estate sale. I liked the design of the box, and while finding an apporpriate watch to go in the box may be a long shot, I enjoy the hunt. It gives me one more thing to look for as I explore the shops and estate sales and auctions. And, if I find a match...that's great! If I don't find a match, then I will have enjoyed the hunt!

I enjoy finding things that are out of the mainstream, and this one fits the bill.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
FYI
In 1950, Hyde Park watches were sold by
Emil Leichter,
551 Fifth Ave,
N.Y. 17 N.Y.
They also sold Emco,Glycine,Jean Piquet,and about 15 other name brands.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003