• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

wrist watch identification and photos "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
hello - i have several wrist watches to sell. i have only sold pocket watches so far. what kind of photos and identification are needed for a listing? where do i find the information on them? how do i open them? thanks - marnie

Posts: 823 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: May 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Marine,

I would add as per pocket watches photograph what you can without damaging the watch, there are many different case opening devices for WW and if you are not sure don’t risk damaging the case, also there is often dirt and grime trapped around the case edge, should any fall in you would be selling a watch needing service,I would leave them alone photo face, back and side, list all you see and time over 24hrs to give a basic indication of performance.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
thank you!

Posts: 823 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: May 06, 2010
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Marnie;good advice from Chris! a general grouppicture of the fronts and one of the backs and we can likely advise you fairly well.some have dimples for a back wrench,some pry off,some have a knurled rim for a knurled wrench{Rolex etc},some have an octagon shape-like wrench, I bought out an old jewellers here in Ontario and there must have been 125 different watch back wrenches Eek Big Grin Will provide what assistance I can, regards,Tom

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009