• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gasp! Ball and Hamilton lovers unite! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Just spent the entire morning with a member of the Ball Family and bought a little bauble that has my hands shaking..

Webb C. Ball II's personal watch given to hm by by (this is sketchy family history here) either Hamilton Watch Company or by (or because of) their associataion with the "SAFTEY First".

Note the colors of the bezel on this mint condition Piping Rock. It has the Railroads SAFTEY FIRST colors scheme, a scheme also used by the Railroads!

Note the Initials WCBII on the back. This is the grandson of Webb C. Ball.

I enjoy publishing this type of thing on Lindells site first BTW, so this is the first public showing of this watch ANYWHERE.

Jeff Hess

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
posted
the back

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
!!WOW!! Jeff what a fantasic piece Gald you now own jsuch a great piece of history.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Wow, your title lured me into the wristwatch forum for the first time. Glad it did, that's a neat item (for a wrist watch Wink)

Rhett Lucke

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

What an amazing find!

(Gotta put on my shades!) Smile

Thanks a million for sharing it with us Jeff.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
I WANT IT!!! What a cool watch!

Tell us more about the colors on the bezel and what they mean.

Was the Ball grandson in the business... what happened to him?

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
posted
The first idications were that it was from the SAFTEY FIRST railroad group. (They were associated with Ball and promoted good watches and good timekeeping.

It MAY have been a gift from Hamilton. It CERTIALY is a "one of" of some kind.

The lineage is as follows "Webb c. Ball" founder His son Sidney Ball took over and then turned the reigns over to Webb C. Ball the Second (The original owner of this watch). I bought the watch from WEBB C. BALLS II 's son.

The colors have some kind of meaning and I am sure it MUST be either RAILROAD colors or SAFTEY FIRST.

JEff

Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
What's weird, Jeff, is that Webb Ball II's initials look remarkably like the *&&%-grin icon ( Big Grin )--

but of course you must be in watch-collectors heaven (or seventh heaven, since you'd entered Paradiso a while back, it seems).

We're definitely going to need a "green with envy" icon--if you keep this up.

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
posted
Jessica,

The "two edged sword" of this find is razor sharp.

I am in seventh heaven going through the ephemera (Kent Singer spent a few days with me helping) and jsut reveling in the watches of course.

But as I dutifully share the info and the watches with my friends, there is some DEFINITE animosity (bordering on anger) from even some of my closest friends. They will get over it I guess Smile Jeff

posted
hmmmmm

I was just told that this is probably simply the colors of the Ohio state buckeyes, Orange and BLACK"

I am going to check with the family to see if this could be the case.. if WEBBII went there or was a big fan.. (I guess it would still make this a very rare watch but I wish it wer somehow railroad related..)

Jeff, feeling dumb if that is the case..

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Ohio State colors are scarlet and gray. I know, I went to school there. Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The colors may have meaning or perhaps they simply were chosen because they look good together. No question about the fact it is a one of a kind example of a very desirable design with amazing provinance. Triple play! Big Grin

If it comes up for sale there will be a long line of buyers!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
I have this funny feeling that this Watch...THIS WATCH....will not come to market.

It is amazing. Clearly a one of a kind.

Magnificent!

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
I'm late to the party but I have to add my own WOW!!! I'm speechless, that's one fantastic find. And who better than you to be the proud owner?Congratulations, Jeff! That's a very exciting piece.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
I have NEVER not once, worn one of the watch from the WEBB C. BAll collection.

But this one... I am wearing.. every single day.

And MR. Hansen is right. We were offered already (unsolicited) a totally rediculous number.

I gave it serious thought and the wife said "you could not live with yourself if we sold it"

And she is right. We nowhave 16 of WEBB C BALL's persaonl watches (two with his name enngraved) one of his son Sidneys (with his name engraved) and now Sidney son WEBB C BALL II.

I am truly truly truly not worthy. I am wearing this watch tonight in Fredericktown Ohio, Webb's home town, as we are doing some research this weekend on his first repair shop nearby.

Jeff Hess, in reverent mode

Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Wow Jeff. I'm speechless as well.

Sometimes it can be tough--even if it is great--

I'm sure your friends will forgive you, though, for being so lucky, perservering and deserving. I've had to forgive one or two friends for that--not so hard--really--

although I definitely hope they never suspected my fit of fleeting bad feeling.

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
Jeff:
Congratulations! What a GREAT find!
Sincerely,
Joel Sarich

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
quote:
We nowhave 16 of WEBB C BALL's persaonl watches (two with his name enngraved) one of his son Sidneys (with his name engraved) and now Sidney son WEBB C BALL II.

Now THAT is a focussed collection! I love that sort of thing. That takes a lot of dedication and effort and is definitely worthy of admiration!

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
I am in Ohio today whre i found WEBB C BALL Sr childhood home.. pics later

posted
Very nice piece. What grade movement does it have in it?

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
Thanks again Jeff!

Not everyone is angry with you though, crazy as it sounds some of us actually appreciate your showing these great watches here.

Wink

Fred