Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Shockmasters "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I own a nice Elgin Deluxe Shockmaster wrist watch that I'm quite fond of, and wear from time to time. It's housed in a 10k bezel, stainless steel screw back case, and from the writing on the back, seems to be 'anti' everything....water, magetism, shock.... (grins)
It needs servicing, but seem to keep decent time (a little slow, but otherwise wearable.)
My question is what makes this a 'Shockmaster'? I see them in the Shugart book with a Lord Elgin dial, so I know it's not a specific model, but apparently (at least to me) is referring to a specific item regarding the movement.
Would anyone be willing to offer a 'Readers Digest' version of what Elgin did to create a 'Shockmaster' movement?

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Well, I've done some web searching while awaiting an any answers, and have read that just about all Shockmasters seemed to be Swiss movements. In the 50's? Why did Elgin go that route?

I seem to have just muddied the waters in my attempt to learn about my watch. Confused

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
The Elgin Shockmaster was an 8/0 elgin with Incabloc shock system installed.All other parts were standard parts.
Hope this helps.
J Smit

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Yes it does, thank you. Movements US or Swiss, and if Swiss (as has been found everywhere on the web), would you know why?

Regards! Mark

posted
They started out with the American movements in grades #641,642,647,685,687,688.The automatic Shockmasters were the early grade #618.
They also had 15/0 movements with shock protection.The grades #674,675,676 had the Kif system.
When they went to the 700 series they used Kif or Durabalance.And that's a story of its own.Hope this helps.
They used swiss autos when theirs didn't meet expectations or couldn't make a 360 movement.There may have patent problems.Who knows?
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
A big part of Elgin's decision to use Swiss movements was financial. They struggled with the bottom line all through the '50's and Swiss movements were cheaper than making their own.

Jack

Posts: 208 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: November 30, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you all for your information. It was indeed very helpful.

Samie reports that my movement is an American made Elgin grade 685 18J, made in 1952, and in excellent condition. Looks like I have a winner here. Smile

HIGH regards! Mark