Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waldman wristwatches, share what you know! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Waldman wristwatches, share what you know!

Here's an interesting question about a wristwatch marked as "Waldman" on the dial.

Hi Lindell,

My brother recently found a Waldman watch on ebay.

He bought it for my dad as a gift as Waldman is the family name. We have all been searching the internet like crazy trying to find any information about the company, just out of curioisity, and have been unlucky thus far. I have found another watch and it looks like its an "Edward A Waldman" watch but that is about as much info as I can find. The Waldman I'm asking about is an older watch because it requires winding but it still works.

You are the only person I know who might have some clue about where to look next. Smile

Thanks,

Denise

To me "Waldman" and "Edward A. Waldman" sound like they may have been names chosen as marketing ploys to "sound like" some other names of famous watch companues. I'm not sure there ever was a "Waldman Watch Company" as such but let's see what we can find, your information and observations are invited.

Finding an ad, any other reference or recollections would be great!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
There's a Waldan watch company.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Lindell,

I finally found the Waldman that I knew I had somewhere. It's a generic round with an A. Schild based movement. I think that you're right about the name, and I'll place this one with the Elbon, Hormilton, and Bolivia watches I have somewhere.

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks guys!

We are often confused or perhaps "bemused" by the names we find on watch dials and movements.

Cary's observation about those venerable and practically interchangeable Swiss movements is probably right on the money. Just yesterday we opened up a "Seeland" marked dial and movement combination. Beautifully finished generic movement, excellent timekeeper, but no following means little in the way of resale value.

I'm pleased that Denise and her family were able to find her dads name on the Waldman dial.

Now, where's that "Riddle" watch?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Here's a picture of a Waldan 18K Chronograph. These watches were being sold brand new about 8-10 years ago. They used a Valjoux 7751 movement and at the time retailed for around $2400.00, they are also being sold brand new today at considerably higher prices. Although the name Waldan is very similar to Waldman I doubt if they're from the same origin.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004