Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Vantage-Hamilton Same Maker? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of David Flegel
posted
I understand that(from an internet posting) Vantage Watches was another name for Hamiliton. Is there any truth to this? Recently got a Vantage Ladies Wrist Watch with a Private label Birks. I do not know if Birks is a well know Jewelery chain in the States. In Canada in is one of the better quality stores. I would like to find out if it is worthwhile putting any money into this watch. It is 17 Jewel Vantage movement.

Posts: 1212 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 06, 2012
Picture of David Flegel
posted
An answer would be appreciated as I have it in for an estimate on servicing. Not sure if I shoul go ahead with having it serviced.

Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
David:

Google "Vantage Watch History" and you'll come up with stuff like this:

"Vantage was the "second line" put out By Hamilton Watch Co.I think it was used to compete with Caravelle And some of the less expensive brands."

Marty

Posts: 420 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 26, 2012
Picture of David Flegel
posted
So I gather that it would not be worth putting a lot of money into servicing this watch? I had already found out from the same posting this info. I am never sure if I should totally believe everything I see on the net. I was more concerned about possible value and putting a lot of money into getting it working.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

David,

My understanding, like Marty is the Vantage name was a secondary line. That allowed Hamilton to sell watches through other outlets in addition to the Hamilton line sold and serviced through their established retail jewelers.

One of the most important considerations is condition. We can easily justify spending when it might be reasonable to expect a good return on our investment. So first, the watch must be something worthwhile, in good overall condition and cost of service or other restoration along with initial cost should not exceed value.

Be careful on the estimate, some jewelers today send their service to a second party and then double that estimate which then easily doubles your costs of repair.

Let us know how it goes.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5223 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
here is one

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1508
posted
The Vantage line was the result of Hamilton going into partnership with the Swiss company Buren. They are not a bad watch, but they are not the Hamilton of old. They are Swiss. And Vantage is not another name for Hamilton. This is getting into Hamilton's last days before dying out. Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010