Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

G-S Flexo watch crystal catalog "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a electronic copy of the G-S Flexo watch crystal catalogue. I'm desperately trying to find crystal codes for 1920-30 watches.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 97 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: April 28, 2007
posted
Stephen,
I have a 1930 GS catalog. What are you looking for?

I have been needing a reason to put this catalog on line. It is a bit primative but, that's what makes it so cool. In the meanwhile, I'd be happy to look up a number for you. Hey,I may even have the crystal too Smile .
-Cort
p.s. After writing this, I wrote to G-S for permisson to broadcast the 1930 catalog on line.

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Cort, I knew someone here would be able to help out. Its such a wonderful site and has some great members that are always willing to help a fellow watch enthusiast.

Its a tonneau shaped crystal for a 1929 Bulova Lone Eagle that I am restoring. Measures 19.5mm wide and 25mm long.

If you could publish what you have it would be wonderful, otherwise I'm more than happy to help out if I can and do it for you.

It would be a great asset to this site if it were available online.

posted
Hi Stephen,
That sounds like one that should be in there!I'll let you know tomorrow.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
The Lone Eagle crystal didn't make the cut-off for inclusion in the 1930 catalog but the 1941 edition shows "T1145 Bulova 24.8mm x 19.5mm". It is listed in the current GS catalog as CT1145 but I would assume the newer version would have side walls. The earlier version would likely look better IMHO. Its not too hard to sand down and repolish the side walls on non-curved crystals though.

FWIW the 1930 catalog lists a total of 205 crystals.
-Cort

posted
Cort this is the watch I'm restoring. It's a 1929 Bulova 2nd edition Lone Eagle, tonneau shaped. The origianl crystal has yellowed with age and does nothing for the appearance.

Thanks for the information, I have a bunch of tonneau shapped Bulova crystals comming from eBay so I hope one of them fits.

posted
That's going to be a nice watch once the shield (i.e.crystal) is up!

I see that the band is a bit narrow. There is an excellent and appropriate way to remedy that if you weren't already aware. Many of these early link bands were sold that had secondary tubes inside the band ends that could telescope in and out to adjust to lug width. You can find some G.F. tubes from a wrecked band or create new tubes.

Personally, if the watch is going to be worn regularly, I recommend leather. The metal bands were original equipment but they eat watch lugs for lunch.

I am really pleased you are assisting in getting old Bulovas the respect they deserve!
-Cort

posted
This is the end result. Sold at eBay auction for $227.50 Very nice watch.

posted
Bulova 1929 Lone Eagle

1929 Bulova Lone Eagle

posted
Hello gentlemen, I posted last week about ww crystals. I have a ton of them. Most are glass but I also have quiet a few plastic. Over the weekend I started to put things away and I have several crystal reference books as well. If you come up with the number you need I'd be happy to see if there is one in the drawer. I'd bet there is.

Posts: 126 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
posted
Bob, is it possible for you to post a copy of any reference books you have online somewhere? Most of the time I don't know what number I need and can only tell by the shape and watch model. Seeing the shape and measurments in the reference book helps a great deal.

I've had a look around the web but can't find any online versions of these books.

So a reference here would be ideal.

posted
Stephen,
I've got 15-20 crystal catalogs that are dang useful reference. I think G-S should oblige us frequent buyers with better online reference!

I would loan my catalogs for reproduction to someone who would copy and return them.The copies I have are in tip-top shape.

I have a 1930 G-S catalog that I found at the flea too. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to put that up on our site? Am I allowed?
-Cort
<(';')>

posted
Good morning guys, I also have a stack of reference material in printed form. I am sure there are duplicates as well but it is just getting the time to get through it all. If I can look up a crystal for you let me know as well. I do PW's not WW's and this stuff is just over in the corner. There has to be thousands.

Posts: 126 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
posted
Cort, it would be wonderful to have them on the [URL=http://www.mybulova.com ]myBulova[/URL] site, but you won't be able to add then the same way you add a watch. If you can get them converted into electronic form (scanned) then you can email them to me and I will manually add a new section to the site for vintage G-S Crystals.

Cheers!

posted
Stephen,
I made a xerox copy of the 1930 catalog for you. E-mail your address to me and I'll send it off.

I wrote to G-S and inquired about putting their catalogs online. I received a very nice response from Kathye Simon. In short, it is something they are looking into. The stumbling block has to do with scale. As we know, the catalogs are printed so that the diagrams of the crystals are lifesife. The initial effort to produce a PDF of the catalogs stalled because there seemed to be no way to keep the proper scale. They are considering whether or not to releaseit with a disclaimer about the scale.

Kathye confirmed that G-S has a complete library of their past catalogs. I would think that PDF catalogs not in scale would be way more useful than no catalogs at all. It funny to me because, I've searched for crystal by holding an original over the pic in the catalog before and, believe me, its not that easy! Perhaps a ruler could be pictured beside each page so that the computer user can adjust the scale?
-Cort
p.s. to Bob Kerr, thanks for your kind offer to make crystals from your stash available. There are plenty I use often which I have trouble replacing so I hope to take you up on the offer. I'll make a list and maybe we can do some bizness.-Cort

posted
Cort, I received the 1930's G-S catalog yesterday. Thank you very very much. I'll scan this in and convert to a PDF format that people can view and download online.

It'll be a great help for anyone needing to know GS codes for a lot of vintage crystals.

Stay tuned for the link.

posted
As promised and courtesy of Cort Moore here is the link to the 1930 G-S Flexo Crystals Catalog.

If anyone has any others I can place online please let me know as I'm happy to do the same.

Thanks again Cort!

posted
Way to go Stephen!
It takes a while to load but, if one needs the info, the wait would seem trivial. A couple of the early catalogs have been reprinted in paper form and are available from G-S.

I don'y know what the interest level is but, as I said before, I'd be happy to loan any of the catalogs I have if you want to scan and return them. Fair warning, they get longer as the years go by.

To all who might take a look at the 1930, be sure to check out the ads at the end. They're a lot of fun.
-Cort

IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
Hello Folks:

I am looking for some watch crystals. Currently I need just a few, but may be interested on a box of various sizes for stock.
Also I have the watch crystal remover with a knurled round nut to screw and "bend" the crystal slightly to insert it. Don't really know how to use it but seems not too hard if I can keep it from slipping out.....aauugghh! Any suggestions or technical assistance available from you experts would be appreciated!!

Moe

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
Moe,
You need the adjustable plate that goes with the Crystal wrench.Send me your PO address.
juliansmith@ncol.net

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Can anyone help me locate one (or more) of these crystals. Happy to pay for cost and shipping.

CMQ425 or G-S Q48

Thanks
Stephen.

CMQ425 watch Crystal

Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hi Stephen, My G-S dealer has that one in stock for $9.00 plus shipping. (CMQ425 but the dimentions are 21.1 X 21.1) I would be happy to buy it and send it to you. Do you use PayPal?

Regards, Jim

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007