Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question for the Hamilton experts "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
What year was the last year that the hamilton watch catalog was distributed to the public?
Thanks in advance for the info.
Need to add during the time period that the watches were made in Lancaster,Pa.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
posted
I have a Hamilton catalog that is from 1968. I would imagine that this would be one of the last of the true "American" Hamilton catalogs.

Posts: 14 | Location: Richmond, Virginia USA | Registered: June 01, 2005
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Tom,
I recently acquired an original copy of the 1968-69 Hamilton Watch Catalog and would like to know if later catalogs were produced at the Lancaster company.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
According to Don Sauers' book, Time for America, Hamilton announced on January 6, 1969 that it would no longer be manufacturing movements in Lancaster.

I have the 1968-69 catalog and it shows watches with American made movements... 22 jewel stem wound movements and electric movements. The 1969-70 catalog may have watches with American made movements, but I don't know since I don't have a copy of it.

However, even after that time, I believe Hamilton was still assembling watches in Lancaster (and elsewhere perhaps) using imported movements made in its overseas facilities. The company was still headquartered and managed from Lancaster for quite some years after that, and still issuing catalogs. Indeed, the modern Hamilton company still issues catalogs today.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004