Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

senior moment with lady's watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert

posted
folks: I am having a senior moment trying to remember the general name given to this type of lady's spring-loaded bracelet style watch that was popular in the '50s and '60s. A lady could just slip this style over her wrist and the tension of the springs would more or less keep it in place. This one happens to be a Baume & Mercier, but lots of Swiss (and American) companies made them. They were called "grippers" or "grabbers" or something like that. Obviously something more elegant-sounding, but it denoted the fact that it gripped the wrist with just enough tension to keep it in place. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
posted
Bangle?

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
Wristwatch Expert

posted
Barbara: thanks for the comment, but actually it's just the opposite of bangle. I want to say they were called "clutch watches" or "clutch bracelet watches." I'll keep looking in my old catalogs.

Bruce

posted
Hand cuffs? pincers...clutchers?..scrappers! I've always had a low opinion of these. Roll Eyes
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
"Clamper" bracelet?

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
posted
My apologies for the rudeness of my last post. I don't much care for these watches but, I do enjoy puzzles...
How about "Em-bracelet"? Now that is almost saleable! Wink
-Cort
p.s.-grasping bracelets?

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
Wristwatch Expert

posted
Cort: don't worry, you haven't offended me. After all, we're talking about watches here, not my mother Wink

I've put a lot of three of them up on eBay and called them "clutch watches" because I did an eBay search under that name and came up with several hits.

I'm auctioning the lot, and here is the link if you'd like to look, or have another chuckle:

clutck watches

I've started this grand lot at 99 cents, and so far no opening bids. But I do have a couple of people "watching" the auction. I fully expect to be able to retire on the proceeds of this auction. I did contact Antiquorum, but so far have not gotten a reply (ha ha!)

Bruce

posted
I think you are refering to "Embraceable" band styles.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Wristwatch Expert

posted
we have a winner! Embraceable watch is correct. Went off like a gong in my the moment I saw it. BTW, the lot went for $21.38 for the three of them. I paid 50 cents apiece, or $1.50 for the lot. A whopping profit margin of 1425%. Still can't retire though. Maybe if I had a million more of them ... Smile