Internet Horology Club 185
How to Spend Sunday - Keystone Case Restoration/Detailing

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9826095371/m/5143922977

July 15, 2013, 16:02
Lorne Wasylishen
How to Spend Sunday - Keystone Case Restoration/Detailing
I have become enamoured of these earflap cases. The first one I bought was already shined up, then this one came along and I am working on buying a third one.

The only real issue was that the concave bow receptacles were worn through so I decided to try metal epoxy. I had to provide a dam to keep the epoxy from being pushed into the pendant where it would block the sleeve from going back in.

I just put a dowel in the drill press and sanded it down to a point where I could put some saran wrap around it and stick it in the hole without tearing it. This epoxy sticks to both wood and plastic so I figured after it was set I could just pull out the wood then pick the saran out with tweezers. Turned out the wood and saran came out together slick as I wanted.

July 15, 2013, 16:04
Lorne Wasylishen
Set up epoxy.

July 15, 2013, 16:05
Lorne Wasylishen
Case front before.

July 15, 2013, 16:05
Lorne Wasylishen
And after, original crystal.

July 15, 2013, 16:06
Lorne Wasylishen
Case back before.

July 15, 2013, 16:18
Lorne Wasylishen
Case back after.

July 15, 2013, 16:20
Lorne Wasylishen
Side view before.

July 15, 2013, 16:21
Lorne Wasylishen
Side view after.

Note the once floppy bow now holds it's position. I don't know if the epoxy will wear down but for now it seems to work fine.

July 15, 2013, 16:24
Lorne Wasylishen
Top view before.

July 15, 2013, 16:24
Lorne Wasylishen
Top view after.

July 15, 2013, 16:47
Jon Hart
Nice work - Lorne
July 15, 2013, 17:33
Lorne Wasylishen
Thanks Jon. There was still some of the "bottom of the bowl" to help support the epoxy so this case seemed a good one to try. I have been wanting to see if this would work for some time now.

I will now try a case with the bow holes completely gone.

By the way, the Waltham hand arrived safe and sound. I expected to have a pic posted by now but the watch itself needed work so I'm just waiting for a call from my watch guy.
July 15, 2013, 18:59
Dave Turner
Very well done. This is a big part of what I like about old watches. Bringing them back to life.

Dave Turner
July 17, 2015, 11:12
Kevin Hoffman
I like these cases too , very nice job
September 14, 2015, 03:18
David E. Booth, Jr.
I just happened to see this thread. Very nice job on that case. And I like the way the epoxy worked out for repairing the bow detents.

A few years ago, my brother asked me to clean an Elgin pocket watch he had acquired in trade for a bicycle. I wish I had taken photos of it. Someone had repaired the detents for the bow by filling them with what appeared to be bushings made from a stainless steel screw. It looked like they had reamed the hole all the way through, then run in a couple of short screws and ground them off flush inside and out, then polished the outside flush with the original case. The inside was left a little rough, but that of course did not show. I was pretty impressed with their skill as a machinist. Fortunately, I didn't have to screw in the sleeve any further than it was. I wouldn't want to have to try to cut new threads through those two bushings. :-)